Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Freon license in My Area

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Not sure where to Post this topic. Have read other topics on sealed system.  My Questions: 

1) My appliance parts local supply tells me I ought to do Freon charging.  Tells me that she obtains the study & test package & sells it here in South Texas.  I pay $125 & get the study books & an application to take the Test which is 4 parts.  I am allowed to take as much time as needed to study, then schedule the test date at a site that administers it  not farm from me.  I have to pass the first part & some of the other sections to obtain a license to purchase Freon here.   She has a sellers permit & the same license.    She sells all of the different freon to the refrigeration & AC techs in this area.

2) I ask about gauges & recovery equipment & costs associated with them.   Tells me I can find them at one of the many pawn shops in our area very reasonable (lot of crack heads around if you know what I mean)   Also tells me that most techs recover in 'a bag' which is inexpensive. 

3)  She also tells me that she sells a Freon with leak stopper in it that most techs use for AC.

4)  There is business for charging sealed units cause my parts dealer sells a lot of it.  Also I had to refer a nice refer over to a tech that does sealed system work because it lost it Freon charge.  Money he collected with the guarantee that the charge may last 3 years or 3 days.

Am I grasping at straws or does this sound reasonable.  I am under standing that the $125 is a one time charge for the license.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

some reading:

http://appliantology...stem-equipment/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thank you RegUS,  And I already researched this topic, asking for more opinions.  I do need to research the actual costs of the equipment.    This testing is not about the actual hands on repairs but the technical jargon of the different pressures & attributed of the gases.

Edited by Patricio, 16 May 2013 - 10:11 PM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Check out mainstream engineering. All you need to do refrigerators up to 5lbs refrigerant is Type 1 hvac certification. 25 bucks online.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,590 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

yeah, no need for all four parts and you can find lots of type 1 testing materials and sample tests online for free. Type one testing can be done at home with an open book. Your state can mail (sometimes email) testing materials.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics