Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
Patricio

Freon license in My Area

5 posts in this topic

Not sure where to Post this topic. Have read other topics on sealed system.  My Questions: 

1) My appliance parts local supply tells me I ought to do Freon charging.  Tells me that she obtains the study & test package & sells it here in South Texas.  I pay $125 & get the study books & an application to take the Test which is 4 parts.  I am allowed to take as much time as needed to study, then schedule the test date at a site that administers it  not farm from me.  I have to pass the first part & some of the other sections to obtain a license to purchase Freon here.   She has a sellers permit & the same license.    She sells all of the different freon to the refrigeration & AC techs in this area.

2) I ask about gauges & recovery equipment & costs associated with them.   Tells me I can find them at one of the many pawn shops in our area very reasonable (lot of crack heads around if you know what I mean)   Also tells me that most techs recover in 'a bag' which is inexpensive. 

3)  She also tells me that she sells a Freon with leak stopper in it that most techs use for AC.

4)  There is business for charging sealed units cause my parts dealer sells a lot of it.  Also I had to refer a nice refer over to a tech that does sealed system work because it lost it Freon charge.  Money he collected with the guarantee that the charge may last 3 years or 3 days.

Am I grasping at straws or does this sound reasonable.  I am under standing that the $125 is a one time charge for the license.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thank you RegUS,  And I already researched this topic, asking for more opinions.  I do need to research the actual costs of the equipment.    This testing is not about the actual hands on repairs but the technical jargon of the different pressures & attributed of the gases.

Edited by Patricio

Check out mainstream engineering. All you need to do refrigerators up to 5lbs refrigerant is Type 1 hvac certification. 25 bucks online.

yeah, no need for all four parts and you can find lots of type 1 testing materials and sample tests online for free. Type one testing can be done at home with an open book. Your state can mail (sometimes email) testing materials.