Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

106.8492410 Kenmore refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

This refrigerator has an intermittent problem. The defrost timer has 2.5 ohms across the compressor contacts. Repair clinic sent a generic timer that has a little black wire for the timer motor. There are different configurations on what spade to slide this wire onto. That is why I was looking for a diagram. No diagram with the machine. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

I guess my question is ; does this refer have continuous run, cumulative run application 1, or cumulative run application 2? Thanks.

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

When I cannot find the wiring diagram  for a Whirlpool manufactured fridge, the following has worked for me

A)According to the timer manual, For whirlpools If your timer connector has a white wire it is continuous (or possible a cumulative version 2, but hook up is the same) use procedure 1 (wire to terminal MARKED #1...which does not mean the first pin)

B)If there is a red wire use procedure 2 (wire to terminal MARKED #2) .

C) Cumulative version 2 uses procedure 3 which is the same as procedure 1(wire to terminal MARKED #1)...but usually there is a red and a white wire....but since you already determined there was a white wire you should have used procedure 1 anyway(terminal MARKED #1).

Also remember, if the timer runs when the fridge is plugged in regardless of whether the cold control is off...it is continuous ie procedure 1

So in essence, if there is a white wire use procedure 1 .....if there is a red wire and no white, wire use  procedure 2.  Ignore procedure 3 as it is the same as procedure 1.   Again, this is for wire colors used by Whirlpool.

For further reading....http://appliantology.org/files/file/51-whirlpool-kitchenaid-maytag-amana-and-jenn-air-refrigerators-adc-defrost-systems-service-manual/ give a good explanation of standard timers as well as adc

also this thread http://appliantology.org/topic/38196-puzzle-with-replacing-defrost-timer-in-kenmore-1068559280/?hl=puzzle

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Kenmore 106.8492410
would be Tech Sheet - 1123821

closest I can find is Tech Sheet - 1123827
which is for (seems to be similar): Roper SxS RS25AWXVW00   c.1989

http://appliantology...xs-rs25awxvw00/
which looks like a
“Version 1”
Cumulative compressor run application
See Procedure 2.

Universal Defrost Timer Whirlpool 482493
wiring instructions

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=3348

Defrost-Timer-482493-00928706.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thank you for your info. I went out to fix this yesterday, looked at how the other timer was wired and when the timer motor ran. I wired the new timer motor the same as the old, black timer wire connected to terminal 2. Cumulative version 1. The motor only runs in defrost. Same as the one replaced.

Thank you Durham for the explanation. I was in a hurry and did not read the notes underneath continuous run and cum. version 1, about the wire colors. I always try to decipher the diagram.

Anyway, the problem seems to be solved and I opened the old timer up when I got home to look at the contacts, and besides being charred and pitted the number 1 contact had broken loose, around it's perimeter, and was sliding back and forth making the contact intermittent.

Thanks again my brothers, for your cumulative versions of help.

Edited by suampman, 19 May 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#6 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

I am at it again. My question is; with a cumulative defrost timer hookup, should'nt the timer motor run when the compressor is running? I checked both timers and the motor was only running in defrost. I accepted it because both timer motors ran in defrost. There is a plug for the wires so no chance of getting wires crossed. What am I missing?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

... The motor only runs in defrost. Same as the one replaced..

Defrost Timer runs during Defrost (Defrost duration time)

and when not in Defrost (has to know how long before going into Defrost)

(power from Compressor, through Timer Motor, though Heater, through Bi-Metal)

During non-Defrost, the Defrost Timer will run IF:

Cold Control is "closed" and Defrost Bi-Metal is "closed"

(Compressor is running, and Evaporator is cold)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thanks RegUS, It is amazing how I confuse myself sometimes. I read the post from the Samurai,(DaveK 2012) and realised from the comment from Budget Appliance Repair, that the bimetatal was not closed. I new that when I was at the job, but forgot. I think I need to start taking my ginko biloba. Thanks again for all the help and praise be to the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Appliance repair masters. Can I get an Amen?

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Amen! The masters here have saved my hind quarters on many occasions.  One thing I found that helps is to actively engage with the info before you go to the repair. You can do this by writing or typing out the info. Saving  it to dropbox or evernote doesn't help with retention.  Before I go out to a call where I'm not so familiar with the procedure, I'll type/write out an outline of what I suspect the problem is and how to solve it. Couple that with some hands on repair and you will start on your journey to become a master.

Participating in this site, by helping others is also an active engagement that reinforces your knowledge. One great thing about this site is  by the time a thread is complete, the different masters will add their take on an issue, giving their approach and sometimes correcting any mistakes you may have made in your attempt to  help others .This is invaluable because learning what not to do can be of equal importance as learning what  to do.    And here, you can learn, teach and make mistakes all while having a bit of fun.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#10 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Looking at my earlier post and the diagram RegUS delivered I realized my previous post could not be right. I celebrated to soon. I will update in about a week when I give the customer my post repair courtesy call.

#11 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

After about a week this refrigerator is working as it should. Thank you to all those who helped in my time of confusion.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Whirlpool universal fridge timer 482493 instructions decoded

By DurhamAppliance in DurhamAppliance's Blog, on 17 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Sometimes after working on ADC, mainboards, jazz boards, genesis boards, utah boards, and beta boards, it's a relief to repair a fridge where the defrost is controlled by a good old standard timer. That is until you have to use the Whirlpool universal timer and have to re-read those "encoded" instructions. Over a year ago, when I had some time (an...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics