Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Where is Darwin when you need him?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Went out on a older whirlpool stack unit and the dryer needed a new drum seal. We returned with new part and upon opening the dryer door notice warm very humid air coming into the dryer.

This was a duplex... Upon further investigation, the dryer vent from up stairs was "Y"ed into the downstairs dyer vent before it went into a reduced 3" PVC pipe going outside, which was clogged... Only reason thermofuses weren' being blown in either unit is because they were venting into each other...

How do these people become landlords without common sence?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

http://i1316.photobu...zps54cc69ea.jpg

3905E984-443D-4024-8353-7DB340C3F084-194

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

You have to remember, evolution will fit many needs. Someone had to be the sucker in the phrase "there's a sucker born every minute" and somebody, during a castle storming, had to climb the ladder knowing full well there's some boiling oil about to be poured on his head.  So having folks like that landlord is actually Darwin displayed  to its fullest.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I recently ran across a whole townhouse development that had the dryer and two bathrooms venting into the attic.

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wow!  That is an incredible war story, Brother Micabay, and with photo documentation.  That earned you advancement to Sublime Master of Appliantology.  

Kanpai!   :samurai:

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Ran into an airflow problem on an apartment unit... Turns out there is water in the venting... BTW I live in the PACNW where it rains... And rains and rains some more... Here's a picture of the set up... Those flaps aren't to keep water out...

http://i1316.photobu...zps08cdd75f.jpg

http://i1316.photobu...zps3dfc7781.jpg

We didnt 'dig' any deeper but kinda speculated the venting went underneath the foundation.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

... Turns out there is water in the venting... 

... I live in the PACNW where it rains... And rains and rains some more...

captbb756f9eacec45ffaf8.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

http://i1316.photobu...zps275aea01.jpg

getting those cloths clean!...  :wacko:

#9 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Sooooo... Ran into a dryer, WP Screen on top.  No heat complaint....  first thing i check...  for Voltage to heater... zero... then to thermo fuse Zero...

L1-N 120 Volts  L2-N 120 Volts... L1-L2  208 Volts..... thats right!  this place was set up on 3-phase!  

The Dryer, works fine... lady just forgot to turn it off of air fluff.... but trippy seeing 208 volts.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

120v

208v

240v

http://appliantology...d-208v-3-phase/

#11 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks Reg!

I've seen 3-phase many times on paper, but only the first time in the field today. Been studying hard for my exam... I assumed 3-phase was mostly used for industrial settings and not residential. See what happened when you assume? :-)

#12 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

A few years ago, Did a warranty call on a dryer, not heating.................dryer was in a garage of a gas station with a deli/ food store attached..........Visualize a Mom-N-Pop set-up................Dryer started but no heat, Checked the terminal strip at power cord connection, strange readings........Followed the cord and it went around the corner into the kitchen..............Was plugged into the deep fryer outlet.................The outlet on the wall was a standard   3 prong 50 amp. range outlet.........Ya would have thought the element would have operated............Same as micabay, never worked on it ....................................Sidebar: The instructors at the technical collage I attended said if you were semi-lost ( this is before G.P.S )........ You looked at the power poles..................If you saw only one  wire on the power pole,  you were out in the country.......

#13 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Went out on a GE bottoms freeze... Warm F/F side cold (0 degrees) freezer side... Another company condemned, "freon leak." We just pushed the Evap fan blade into the Evap fan motor shaft... Motor was working, fan not turning at all.... Fixed, right. Less than 5 mins. Customer was happy, with our company that is.

Also, what made the customer uneasy about their diagnoses, he tried to sell her a used fridge from his shop... We have come acrossed fridges that he has worked on in his shop. Most have a hard start 3-1 installed...

Edited by micabay, 02 August 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#14 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like that's one "competitor" that you won't have to worry about much longer, Brother micabay.

#15 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

Doubt it. Also, it is questionable weather that company is licensedto work on appliances. This area is real depressed as far as techs. Our company is currently scheduling 3-5 days out. So are the good techs at other companies.

There are a few other competitors that are competent, we recommend customers too. We even stop by a few of them once a weeks, just to say hi. They recommend a lot of business to us. Their business model is different than ours...

One sells only used sometimes they'll do inshop service.

The other went from 3 tech to 1 due to retirement and lack of skill to pass the state electrical exam. This company is currently booked 2 weeks out. They also sell parts.

The third works on higher end/commercial appliances and like the company I'm with, only does in home service, no warenty jobs.. When they they get busy, we get the "smaller" jobs recommend from them.

The 4th doesn't work on gas, about 75% of the business he recommends to us turns out to be a hot surface igniter... :)

We just pretend Sears doesn't exist, unless we are fixing their FUBARs.

The jist of the story, if you are friendly, do good work, and have fair prices. You will win at this game of appliance repair.

Edited by micabay, 02 August 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Did one yesterday. An LG made kenmore. The property manager said their normal repair guy doesn't work on Lg's so they called us. Problem, the icemaker did not work. Top mount freezer so no water dispenser. They just had a plumber install a new water line since the old line stopped working. I put the ice maker in test mode.... it sprung to life but no water. Pulled the fridge and saw the plumber had bypassed the non-working dedicated fridge house spigot and ran a line from the basement. He did not add a shut off valve on the new line to the fridge (idiot). I loosened the line on the fridge water valve expecting to see water gushing out. Nothing. Tightened it back up, went to the basement and backed out the saddle valve (on pex piping no less... idiot) and water shot through the line. The landlord paid for an idiot plumber so I figure he might as well pay me. $120 for a ten minute job. God I love idiots.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#17 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, micabay, I know the feelin'.  All the guys I started with down the trail of appliance warfare back in the eighties, delivering and installing, all work at different shops in the area, managing or owning.  We all send customers back and forth because we know each other.  But for the pirates and jackbags, I've seen them come and go.  For the guys that have passion for this field, whether it's a psychological condition or not, will prevail.

#18 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Went out on a WP Duet Sport matching washer and dryer. Washer needed new drain pump. Dryer needed new thermofuses and element.

Now the dryer needed the vent cleaned. This vent took two of us almost 45 mins to clean. One of the worst ones we have seen. (We usually pass the really bad ones onto someone else.) didnt look bad on the outside.

Turns out had a birds nest about 6 feet inside the first section.... After we get all done, he gets his bill, quite large I might add... Takes it in stride. Then we find out, he's on the states fire commission.... Career fireman... This guy makes a living putting out dryer fires, amount others. At least once a week he put out a dryer fire, for over 25 years...

#19 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

... This vent took two of us almost 45 mins to clean.

... One of the worst ones we have seen....

pictures ?

(for us and the customer)

#20 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Missed out on em. Was the last job of the day and wanted to get home. Next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics