Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrig - Are all of them built as Profile Design?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nti

nti

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

GE Refrig - Within the last 5-6 years, are all of them built on the Profile Model Design?  And where do we get additional info or repair specs other then GE? 

Model # GSS20DBMBWW 

This unit has the Control Board on rear of frig.   Is there an instrument avail to diagnose board other then Hammer, screw driver and wet finger tip ?

Thanks, Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

[user=592]nti[/user] wrote:

Is there an instrument avail to diagnose board other then Hammer, screw driver and wet finger tip ?

Along with the tech sheet for your refrigerator which, by the way, is located in your refrigerator... unless it's been stolen by some slimeball, you'll find two instruments to be most expedient for your repair efforts:

1. A simple multimeter

2. Your brain... sans suds. :gulp:

#3 nti

nti

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:44 PM

Thank you, Exalted Grand Master of Appliantology.  The def heater is burned up and T-Stat is rattling.  Suggestions from Exalted Grand Master of Appliantology is requested.  ;) Thanks, Mike

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Never seen or heard of a rattling t'stat. Don't see how they could-- no moving parts.

Fans rattle.

Double check that.

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

Replace the bad defrost heater.  Define " rattling t'stat"

#6 nti

nti

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

Replace the bad defrost heater.  Define " rattling t'stat"

Def T-Stat raddles if shaking.   Was wondering what caused the heater to burn up on two yr old refrigerator.   If the t-stat does not open to turn off heater until 140 degrees what exactly monitors and cycles the heater.  I am assuming that the heater does not actually operate at the higher temp of 140 degrees.   I am also assuming it's the thermister or a sensor in the freezer compartment....or is it controlled by something else?  These newer GE frig are beating me up.  Thanks for the feedback.  Mike

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:13 PM

You can order a defrost heater harness for a few dollars more.  It's a defrost heater, defrost T-stat (terminator) and all the wiring in one neat little package.  

I've seen that 140 degree figure twice recently in this forum.  The defrost t-stat opens at 50 or 60 degrees.  Where are you getting that number from?

Why did it only last two years?  It's the quality of the product.  GE has been making garbage for over 10 years now.

You'll need the service manual if you're gonna run calls on the newer GE refrigerators.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics