Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Grinding noise in Kenmore dryer (11066812690) when drum is loaded.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coke Bear

Coke Bear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I need help fixing a grinding-type noise on my Kenmore Dryer (model 11066812690). 

The grinding noise seems to be worse when the clothes are first put in there.

It has been happening for a while now.  It's to the point that it will only run for a few minutes before it shuts down.  It seems like it is dragging / grinding to a halt.

I removed the all wet clothes from the dryer.  Then I removed the front panel.  The drum rotates smoothly without weight.  The belt is about a year or two old.  It does NOT seem stretched or worn. 

I turned the dryer on (sans clothes) and it ran quietly.  When I put wet towels back in the dryer and turned it on, it made the graiding noise again.

Thanks in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Sounds like a pencil or something may be caught down in the blower wheel:  http://www.repaircli...er=110.66812690

Blower-Wheel-694089-00918612.jpg

There's a video at the link above that shows how to disassemble the dryer to access the blower wheel.  

#3 Coke Bear

Coke Bear

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Sounds like a pencil or something may be caught down in the blower wheel:

I'll check that, but I'm not sure why the noise ceases when nothing is in the drum.

Thanks for suggestion.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

If you don't find anything in the blower, then you probably have worn drum rollers or a bad idler and need the maintenance kit:  http://www.repaircli.../4392065/587636

Maintenance-Kit-4392065-01168905.jpg

How-to video at the link above.  

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like a motor problem.  If the rear drum seal and front drum glide look ok, motor seems to protest with a load.  Could be an internal rotor problem causing the thermal cutout in the motor to shut down after a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics