Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Coke Bear

Grinding noise in Kenmore dryer (11066812690) when drum is loaded.

5 posts in this topic

I need help fixing a grinding-type noise on my Kenmore Dryer (model 11066812690). 

The grinding noise seems to be worse when the clothes are first put in there.

It has been happening for a while now.  It's to the point that it will only run for a few minutes before it shuts down.  It seems like it is dragging / grinding to a halt.

I removed the all wet clothes from the dryer.  Then I removed the front panel.  The drum rotates smoothly without weight.  The belt is about a year or two old.  It does NOT seem stretched or worn. 

I turned the dryer on (sans clothes) and it ran quietly.  When I put wet towels back in the dryer and turned it on, it made the graiding noise again.

Thanks in advance!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like a pencil or something may be caught down in the blower wheel:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Blower-Wheel/694089/686172?modelNumber=110.66812690

Blower-Wheel-694089-00918612.jpg

There's a video at the link above that shows how to disassemble the dryer to access the blower wheel.  

Sounds like a pencil or something may be caught down in the blower wheel:

I'll check that, but I'm not sure why the noise ceases when nothing is in the drum.

Thanks for suggestion.

Sounds like a motor problem.  If the rear drum seal and front drum glide look ok, motor seems to protest with a load.  Could be an internal rotor problem causing the thermal cutout in the motor to shut down after a few minutes.