Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Error code E46, E42

E42 E46

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

GE Front Load Washer GFWN1100LOWW  press start in wash cycle, machine door locks, pauses, unlocks, Pauses, locks.  Begins filling, agitates, drains, then stops and start button LED blinks.  Push start again and duplicates fill, agitate, drain & stop,

Timer counts down as this short cycles progress.   Never enters a heavy agitate mode.  Continues into drain & spin cycle.  Tub will spin slowly, building speed, but will never hit full spin speed.

When put in service mode, Error code is E46,  2nd code is E42.   There is no Error 46 but 42 code is on service mini manual with motor drive above limits.   Gives a few items to check.

All service test check out except for t10 tumble test &  t11 spin test.  A '0' is displayed in window & nothing happens in either test.  How do I check for motor or motor board as being good?  Or for that matter control board being OK?

I checked all wire connections & found the yellow wire to the thermistor broke of connector.  Soldered wire back to connector plug, I don't think that is the machines problem.  Also the tub has a chunk broke off were the balance weight was attached.

Any suggestions, new control board? Motor? or Motor inverter board?   What may I test or should I have it junked?   Customer is going to patch Large hole with fiberglass patching bondo.   He thinks it is worth repairing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,837 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

E46 is the undocumented error code for an overheated motor.  This goes along with the E42 code that you saw.  You may or may not be able to pick this up by ohming the motor windings and using a megger to check for leakage from windings to ground.  That would be more a "fun with science" kind of a thing-- the bottom line is the motor is borked.  If I were quoting the job, I would assume the inverter has been affected and replace it at the same time.  

Motor:  http://www.repaircli...er=GFWN1100L0WW

Drive-Motor-WH20X10028-01019814.jpg

Inverter: http://www.repaircli...er=GFWN1100L0WW

Inverter-Board-WH12X10519-01335753.jpg

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

may be similar

http://appliantology...nt-load-washer/

E42 Drive motor - instantaneous current
Motor excess current draw.
Check drive motor - t10 tumble, t11 spin, t14 spin.
Power down (unplug) washer, wait 30 seconds and retry.

If code reoccurs, check drive motor windings.
If motor windings OK, replace inverter.

(You may see a burned spot on inverter.)

(Note: Cannot occur with open motor winding.)

E46 Drive motor - over temperature
Inverter over temperature.
Check Motor - t10 tumble, t11 spin, T14 spin.
Power down (unplug) washer, wait 30 seconds and retry

- use whites cycle sanitize temperature - if reoccurs, replace drive motor.

(Note: Cannot occur with open winding.)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

the bottom line is the motor is borked. If I were quoting the job, I would assume the inverter has been affected and replace it at the same time.

I suggested to customer motor more than likely. He could not believe that cause it was 'working' (I don't argue with customers especially when they are drinking) Did not like the price of a motor replacement cause he bought it used for $150 & it has worked fine till now. He expected a simple cheap repair.

may be similar
http://appliantology...nt-load-washer/

E42 Drive motor - instantaneous current
Motor excess current draw.
Check drive motor - t10 tumble, t11 spin, t14 spin.
Power down (unplug) washer, wait 30 seconds and retry.
If code reoccurs, check drive motor windings.
If motor windings OK, replace inverter.
(You may see a burned spot on inverter.)
(Note: Cannot occur with open motor winding.)

E46 Drive motor - over temperature
Inverter over temperature.
Check Motor - t10 tumble, t11 spin, T14 spin.
Power down (unplug) washer, wait 30 seconds and retry
- use whites cycle sanitize temperature - if reoccurs, replace drive motor.
(Note: Cannot occur with open winding.)

Does not have a t14 test. Did power down several times, tried to explain about tumble/agitation cycle & spin cycle. Customer can't comprehend because he sees it agititate & spin (in slow mode) See comment above about arguing.

Bottom line is he will find another one on Craigs List. And again both of you samurais of appliance warefare, Thank You very much for all you do. Come down to the coast I will take you Kayaking In the ocean.

Edited by Patricio, 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics