Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Fridge Model# PGSS5PJX: Is this a Samsung? and how to I get to Evap Fan?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

The evaporator fan doesn't work, I went to get too it and got about half way, and gave up.  I wanted to get the new fan before I got all the way back to check for power and what not. I might plan on replacing the board and the fan once I get into it, over kill?

Will I need to take apart most of the interior to get the back panel off?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

First, you should do these voltage checks back at the muthaboard.  In all electronic refrigerators, teardown is a secondary or tertiary move, not your first move because you always start with system checks (voltage and resistance measurements) at the muthaboard.  The other trick is self test mode where you tell it to do stuff like run the evap fan, roll over, play dead, etc.  

Here's the service manual for this beast:  http://appliantology...service-manual/

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,508 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

When you remove the rear panel in the freezer, make sure to run force mode defrost (dd on control when in force mode. Should be 3rd step) that rear panel can be tough to get out. Any frost built up will cause the panel to stick and break the Styrofoam. If the Styrofoam breaks you have to change the entire panel or the unit will not work properly.

But like the great one said... Check those voltages first.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

When you remove the rear panel in the freezer, make sure to run force mode defrost (dd on control when in force mode. Should be 3rd step) that rear panel can be tough to get out. Any frost built up will cause the panel to stick and break the Styrofoam. If the Styrofoam breaks you have to change the entire panel or the unit will not work properly.
But like the great one said... Check those voltages first.

although this beastie looks like a samsung, it quacks like a GE. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this model requires the 4 button push on the interface then enter 1-4 on the pad as on standard Profiles to force defrost or by jumping at the board.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Guess I should have looked up the mod #. Shame on me!!! I think your correct brother Durham!!!

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Heck, I'm just impressed that you got that samsung diagnostic procedure down like that!

#7 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:02 AM

Well it's in my head. Haven't had to do it yet. Battling my first one since ASTI this week. I guess we will see if my mind will let my hands do the work. Lol

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well it's in my head. Haven't had to do it yet. Battling my first one since ASTI this week. I guess we will see if my mind will let my hands do the work. Lol

I had at least 4 since Asti and I'm still looking to get some discarded models for testing practice.
Recently I purchased an inexpensive laminator. Gonna laminate exploded and annotated pictures of the boards and procedures and put them in a binder. Yeah, i got my tablet but sometimes when working on appliances, nothing beats a hard copy. Especially when it's large... I guess I'm making my on "Samsung for Dummies" book.

#9 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm a little lost, I ordered a control panel for testing and will run the voltage and ohms test on the back like any other GE? Is this a difficult refrigerator to diagnos and work on? and being a rookie should I shy away from this repair, and it may not matter, is this made by GE or Samsung?

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Your model either has a 5 button display or a dispenser lcd display. The manual suggests the aid if you have the dispenser lcd display.

If your model is the nondispenser lcd version , you already have a five button interface and if it is working properly will be the same as the Diagnostic aid. You can still use the aid but you have to either disconnect the interface inside the fridge to be able to use the front ports or better yet, connect your aid to the j4 connector (thereby disconnecting fridge interface.)

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 May 2013 - 06:36 AM.
edited to reflect the two versions of this model per manual

#11 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Recently I purchased an inexpensive laminator. Gonna laminate exploded and annotated pictures of the boards and procedures and put them in a binder. Yeah, i got my tablet but sometimes when working on appliances, nothing beats a hard copy. Especially when it's large... I guess I'm making my on "Samsung for Dummies" book.

Are you going to put this out in public print copies 7 market it.   I have a radio shack 'kindle' but it is not like a hard copy.   I like to write in/on all my books.  Keeps my notes write there.  Been doing that since my college days.   Never have liked scrolling.   I like turning the page & refreshing myself with my little notes.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#12 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'll buy a copy of your book. "Durham's Samsung refrigeration picture book!"

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'll buy a copy of your book. "Durham's Samsung refrigeration picture book!"

Hey, I might even go so far as to make it a picture, popup and coloring book. Also open some pages and authentic samsung fridge diagnostic beeps will play. The section on customer relations will have finger puppets to represent the tech and customer. Techs and kids from 1 to 92 will love it.

Got a name for it already: " See Samsung, Run Tech Run"

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

... I guess I'm making my own "Samsung for Dummies" book.

http://covers.dummies.com/

42470.png

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 29 May 2013 - 04:10 AM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

That's awesome!  A preview of the greatness to come!  

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

lol Reg, that's cool as all outdoors! Going to amazon right now to order one.... oh, wait! lol

#17 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Pop ups and everything!??? Maybe Samsung will make it an authorized training aid. You can make thousands of dollars...maybe even a bazillion!!!

#18 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Well, I'm still lost:

1. It may not matter, but is this made by Samsung for GE with GE boards and parts? or Just a GE?

2. This has the controls on the front, and not inside, so I didn't need to order a control panel, I can put it in test mode from the front face controls?

3. Thanks agian for your help and support...and keeping it light.

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

This is a full blooded GE.
You are right, the manual references two versions, one (non dispenser version) has a 5 button display. The other (dispenser version) needs a diagnostic aid and is suggested by the manual . You apparently have the latter. The dispenser model you have uses an lcd display that has limited and sucky diagnostics... it is a version on "the bastard" fridge that is my nemisis. Be careful with this type as "all fans mode" on the lcd does not turn on all fans. At least not with the "bastard"

I will modify my earlier post to avoid confusion

ps... the samsung off topic stuff probably added to the confusion... I apologize for that (but will still sell you the book once it's published) . but your model is definitely all GE. The question is, is that a good thing?

#20 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info, I will likely plow ahead with this repair, I think its the only way i'm going to learn this stuff, painful as it may be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics