Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Fridge Model# PGSS5PJX: Is this a Samsung? and how to I get to Evap Fan?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

...Well I went back out to wrap up this repair and came away with a few more questions:

I replaced the board and the evap fan:

1. I was not getting air out of the FF section when I left, my theory is that the freezer section has to be satisfied before the damper will open? Yes, the fan was running full speed and the freezer temp was 47f and the FF was 59f.

2. I tested the voltage for the damper motor ( J2 pin 3 to J3 pin 1,2,3,4 )  and was looking for  6vdc but had nothing, I assume the damper motor would have to be in operation to have voltage show up on this test?

3. I did this repair without the control panel, if I had it during testing, could have I put it in test mode and ran the damper to check for 6vdc at the board?

4. Are these test locations on the connectors univasal locations for all GE refrigerators with boards?  This one had a variable speed compressor.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,963 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

1 check the manual for cooling order

2) usually with GE's if you unplug the fridge and plug it back in, you have 10 seconds to check for voltage at the board.

3) yes

4) Pretty much but be careful in assuming all GE made profiles, arcticas etc have the same anything. There are board variations.. some have inverter connections and some fridges have AC condenser fan motors so testing it at J2 is impossible. I also use to think all GE fridges with evap thermistors use the same 140f defrost limit... not! I know of at least one model which uses the limit as a defrost terminator and putting the 140f limit in it will cause the board to terminate based on upper defrost time limit of 40 minutes as opposed to the 55f (can't remember exact temp) termination temp of the proper limit. In short, ALWAYS check your manual.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics