Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch WFMC3200 works, quits. works again, quits again

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yuenling

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

So heres the deal...Have a Bosch WFMC3200 that has been working like a champ for the past 8 years.  A couple weeks ago it quits working, went out of town and came back signed up for my apprenticeship, got manual, read it and commenced diagnostic ninja mode.  Unplugged the machine for a few minutes, plugged it back in and ran p:01 and got the following codes E:9 C:03, E:20 C:04, d:10 C:01.  Ran P:04 and got an additional d:18 and d:09 thrown in.  Now the capper....Ran P:03 and the damn thing ran through it with flying colors...FM I hate FM....SO threw a small load of clothes in washed like always no problems.  Today I threw a load in and it fills, agitates, drains, throws up an E:20 and its middle finger and quits.

Now when I run P:03 it fills as it should, no agitation, drains properly, throws up E:20 and middle finger( I thought P:03 didn't throw codes?).  So any advice before I commence to disassemble or perhaps use .357 therapy on said washer?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ran P:03 and the damn thing ran through it with flying colors...  

Today I threw a load in and it fills, agitates, drains, throws up an E:20 and its middle finger and quits.

This makes me wonder about oversudsing.  When you ran test mode, you probably didn't add any detergent.  When you ran an actual load, you undoubtedly added detergent.  Oversudsing will cause this machine to throw an E:20 error code.  

How much and what type of detergent are you using?

#3 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

This makes me wonder about oversudsing.  When you ran test mode, you probably didn't add any detergent.  When you ran an actual load, you undoubtedly added detergent.  Oversudsing will cause this machine to throw an E:20 error code.  

How much and what type of detergent are you using?

Tide HE with bleach alternative Liquid about 2 tablespoons

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Not sure if this is a single concentrated, 2X or 3X product.  If you got it from Walmart, all detergents sold there are 2X.  Here are the correct detergent amounts, please confirm that your usage conforms:

- Regular HE detergent: 2 tablespoons per normal wash load

- HE 2X (double concentrated): 1 tablespoon

- HE 3X (triple concentrated): 1 teaspoon

#5 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Appears to be regular HE. Nothing on the bottle indicates 2x or 3x. Bought it at Costco if that helps. Also the problem just started and this jug of liquid is about empty. Just for giggles I just poured a good stiff shot single malt...I mean Tide...and I am a litle under two tablespoons

Edited by DocSardonic, 27 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Okay, as you know from your study of the manual, E20 refers to spin aborted due to unbalanced load or faulty wire harness.  We should rule out an actual cause for an imbalance problem, if one exists.  The most common causes for imbalance:

- wood floors that aren't stiff enough (wood floors change over time, too)

- one of the footings on the washer has retracted resulting in unequal weight distribution among the footings

- load of wash that is too small, which can cause it to bunch up all together and create what Frank Zappa would call, an "Excentrifugal Force."

- problem with the suspension in the machine:  damper or suspension spring

- problem with the drum bearing or drum support spider: open the door, grab hold of the lip of the inner basket and shake like you mean it, any movement independent of the outer drum is bad

Check on these things and post back.  

#7 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Checked things and here are the results

1. Floor appears to be sound......no give with 260lb man jumping around like idiot on it.

2. Not sure about washer feet as it is on a Bosch supplied pedestal, but the attachment to the pedestal is solid.

3 Load that failed was a load of mixed items, but about half of a normal load size.  The load that caused the original sin was hand wash.

4-5. Drum moves as unit when I shake it, but it does move very easily with not a lot of pull exerted. Drum also rotates freely with no wobble.

Also need to get a level and check the front back side and diagonal readings and will report that post haste

ETA: Washer is level on all measurements

Edited by DocSardonic, 27 May 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

the E:20 error code points to either 1) an imbalance problem or 2) a wire harness problem.  Sounds like we've pretty much eliminated the imbalance issues from the picture.  Movin' on..

The other error code you listed was the infamous E:09, communication lost to the motor.  Again points to a wire harness or connection.  Disconnect and reconnect the wire harness at both ends of the motor wire harness, at the motor and at the motor control board.  This will clear any oxidation from the connectors and help restore good contact.  

These WFMC washers are prone to the same wire harness issues issues as the older LG washers-- a wire in the harness can break internally but in such a way that continuity is there during the quiescent parts of the cycle but then as the gyrations ramp up, continuity is broken.  This interrupts the feedback from the motor and causes the control to throw an error code.  Very hard to nail down analytically; if this is the problem, it is usually deduced and the wire harness replaced.  

#9 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ok....Will proceed to dismember  disassemble the machine and check the harness from the motor to motor control board and report back a little later today.

#10 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

A 1000 pardons oh wise one.......I have ohmed out the wiring harness from the motor control to the motor.  All leads check out.  Should I now ohm the wiring harness to the front control panel? Also since I have the back off I was going to ohm the motor as well, however I ran into a brief conundrum, does the numbering on the motor contacts run from drum to bottom or bottom to drum? Also the contacts were surprisingly free of oxidation and felt tight when I unplugged them.

Edited by DocSardonic, 22 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#11 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Anyone know the part number for the harness that goes from the Motor control to the motor?

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Motor wire harness: http://www.repaircli.../421571/1100794

Power wire harness for the motor control module:  http://www.repaircli.../421592/1100801

Buy and install both.  If the problem is solved, great!  If not, then the motor is bad, overheating and cutting out.  The motor is NLA.  You can return the wire harnesses for a refund.  

#13 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

now to play what if....since the motor is NLA what is a suitable replacement for this washer, should the harnesses not solve the problem?

#14 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Have you checked the brushes on the motor. ?  I have seen more basic models act up intermittently before they stop altogether. Yours is about the right age . Brushes are only $50-60 ….. Just Sayin.

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,795 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Good thought, Kokanee!  But can you buy just the brushes for this motor?  And where?

#16 Kokanee Ranger

Kokanee Ranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Kokanee ... the beer out here.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Apparently a brush less motor from Bosch , thats new to me. Off BSF site.

Ersatzteilinformation

Sparepart information

58300000159636_ABZ_EN_A

9/2/2011

Page 1/2

Copyright by BSH Bosch-und Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH • Customer Service

EN

Replacing Nexxt washer motor 436478

Nexxt washer motor

is no longer available. It can be replaced with motor

, but is not interchangeable – the motor control and, in select cases, the washer control must be replaced

as well (see chart below)

replacment motor  : 660487 , Motor controler : 660486

Unit my be beyond economical repair.

Thats BSH site.

#17 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Got curious after checking the board this morning and used my google-fu. Found that sears parts direct has a stock of the 436478 motors available, price is 177.49 plus shipping and what not. But Kokanee did get me thinking that I want to check the motor a little closer.  I just need a little guidance. When looking at the schematic in the manual I see a block with 8 connections. Now the back of the motor has a blue 5 wire block, and the ground that 6 connections and then add in the 2 wires for the tach that gives me my 8 wires.  So i am assuming (yeah I know assumptions) that the numbers 4-8 are the 5wire block on the motor, to ohm that out do the numbers run 4-8 from the drum side to the base or vice versa? 

Edited by DocSardonic, 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#18 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

If you end up ordering the part from Sears, here's a for sure 10% discount code that is almost always good: PARTS

And one that is suppose to be good till 7/7/13: SPRING15  - (I just tested it and it still works -saves $26.62).

Must be done from the searspartsdirect site, click the 'Enter Coupon Code' and it will open a field to enter the discount code.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#19 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the code....Discounts are always good, especially with the prices of parts these days.

#20 DocSardonic

DocSardonic

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Got my parts in and am going to put them in this evening...Does anyone happen to have the wiring diagram for this machine?  The one under the top of my machine is only partially readable and I would like to get a good copy to file away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics