Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool 27" Dryer Squeals Every Two Years

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sgamoran

sgamoran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

We have a four year old 27" Whirlpool washer/dryer pair (220V 50Hz for Israel but that doesn't matter here. After two years it began to squeal. I bought a roller, idler, belt kit and hanged it and cleaned out grit, sand, and lint. Two more years of silence and laundry bliss. Last week the squeaks started again. Since I actually bought three repair kits stateside two years ago I was prepared. This time first I just tried cleaning out the dirt. No go. It squealed just as much. I replaced it all and I'm back to quiet laundry.

Two years seems to me to be awfully frequent. Any ideas what can be done to extend the life and, if not, which of the psrts really needs such frequent replacement so I can buy it a la carte and save cost, space in my suitcase.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Please give up the model number. Some of the newer idler pulley's are so cheaply made they wear out in 1-2 years.

#3 sgamoran

sgamoran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

The dryer model is 3XLGR5437KQ4. The repair kit is 4392067 FSP Appliance Care Products by Whirlpool. I also had no trouble finding a RepairClinic video that described this repair closely enough even if it wasn't exactly the same model.

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Well, something's depend on the user.

How many loads are you drying in hat two year stretch? 700 (one a day) or 150 a load every 2 or three days?

How wet are the cloths you are putting in the dryer? Do you have an HE washer or an older top load that isn't spinning out the water? Is that older machine not spinning out water like it use to? <~~direct drive wp clutch

How big/small are the loads you are puttin into the dryer?

What kind of lube did you use when you put the kit in last time?

How is your venting? (I've seen machines that we vented into the room and the added moisture has caused them to prematurely rust away)

This appliance wearing out has some to do with the user, unlike appliance like refers which are running 365.25 24/7 :)

What about the location of the dryer? Is it inside a room with a shower (added moisture) or out in an unheated garage?

#5 sgamoran

sgamoran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

> Well, some things depend on the user.

Agreed.  I am willing to repent and spin no more (well actually prolong the spinning/tumbling).

> How many loads are you drying in hat two year stretch? 700 (one a day) or 150 a load every 2 or three days? 
I think our usage is light-to-average.  A family of four people - about 3-4 loads a week.

> How wet are the cloths you are putting in the dryer? Do you have an HE washer or an older top load that isn't spinning out the water? Is that older machine not spinning out water like it use to? <~~direct drive wp clutch
The washer 3XLSQ7533JQ5 and dryer were purchased as a pair at the same time.  It's a top loading washer, not HE, that I think is doing a decent job of spinning out.  The drying isn't taking an unreasonable amount of time.

> How big/small are the loads you are puttin into the dryer? 
Medium to large.  Israel is always in a water shortage and I try to do my part by not wasting.

> What kind of lube did you use when you put the kit in last time?
None.  I didn't see any instructions to lube.

> How is your venting? (I've seen machines that we vented into the room and the added moisture has caused them to prematurely rust away)
The vent is a rigid aluminum pipe 4 feet long.  The dryer sits next to an outside wall and when we built the house 25 years ago I had the builder cut out a vent hole.  It goes straight outside.

> This appliance wearing out has some to do with the user, unlike appliance like refers which are running 365.25 24/7 smile.png

> What about the location of the dryer? Is it inside a room with a shower (added moisture) or out in an unheated garage?
The laundry room/pantry has no water in it except for a laundry sink rarely used and the washer sitting between the sink and the dryer.  The room is not heated but it is on the main floor of the house and mostly open to heated rooms.  In our climate the temperature rarely goes below 45F.  We've had a dusting of snow twice in 25 years.

> Read more: http://appliantology.../#ixzz2Ub2r7ZEF 
> Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

#6 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

You mention grit and sand.

How is grit and sand entering the dryerand

In what quantity?

#7 sgamoran

sgamoran

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

We live in an ar ea that gets dust storms a couple of times a year. Some finds its way into everything. I found sand and hairs in the front roller wheels but not in the rear or the idler pulley. The quantity was like a teaspoon of sand in each of the front rollers.

#8 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

That's a lot of sand, I would take it apart at least once a year and clean the rollers and shafts. Over time the sand could damage the shafts. You shouldn't need to change the whole kit every two years, next time it's noisy spin each roller and idler to determine which one(s) seems to be dragging or noisy. I use a small amount of turbine oil to lube and clean the shafts. Be sure to clean the rollers, if one roller still seams to drag change it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics