Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung WF520ABP Washer powers on for less than 10 seconds then shuts off, no codes

samsung washer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Since Saturday, our Samsung washer model WF520ABP/XAA 04 (1.5 years old) powers on like normal, then the display reads "select your setting" for a few seconds (but will not react to any selections) then it goes dark and won't power on again for several minutes.  There are no codes that come up or anything. And after waiting a bit, it will power on again and do the same thing.

All that I can come up with is that we had a recent bout of thunderstorms that created a power surge or something.

Any ideas??

The soonest we can have someone look at it  isn't for another 10 days at best... we have 7 kids, and laundry is piling up!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

Have you tried de-energizing or unplugging unit to reset main pcb?  Unplug for 5 minutes and re-energize.

#3 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Have you tried de-energizing or unplugging unit to reset main pcb?  Unplug for 5 minutes and re-energize.

We did try unplugging for 10+ minutes, but no change. 

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Try to activate Service Mode to retrieve any stored fault codes.  With the power on, press the signal and extra rinse buttons together.  Then press the silver care button until there is a flashing "d" on the display.  Turn the cycle selector dial either way and see if any fault codes are displayed.

#5 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Try to activate Service Mode to retrieve any stored fault codes.  With the power on, press the signal and extra rinse buttons together.  Then press the silver care button until there is a flashing "d" on the display.  Turn the cycle selector dial either way and see if any fault codes are displayed.

I turned on the washer and immediately pushed "signal" and "extra rinse" at the same time and the machine turned off. It wouldn't turn on again (immediately afterward). I don't have a "Silver Care" button. 

Thanks for offering help.

#6 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I turned on the washer and immediately pushed "signal" and "extra rinse" at the same time and the machine turned off. It wouldn't turn on again (immediately afterward). I don't have a "Silver Care" button. 

Thanks for offering help.

FYI I do have a copy of the Fast Track Troubleshooting. 

I just went back downstairs and tried to activate the Quick Test Mode by pushing "spin" "soil" and "power" at the same time... it lit up and beeped like it was entering the mode (we usually have our sound muted), flashed "Test Mode" then "8888" (I think) then shut off-- it was on for about 2 seconds. And again won't power back on immediately.

Not sure if this helps or not. I will try both again when it lets me to be sure.

*Edit: I just tried to activate test mode again and it beeped, flashed "Test Mode" then shut off. I was hoping to verify the "8888", as I see that "EEEE" means the PCB is defective.

Edited by missiethegal, 30 May 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

A control board that won't enter test mode is almost always a slam-dunk for replacing the errant control board.  Come git you one:  http://www.repaircli...Number=WF520ABP

Main-Control-Board-DC92-00321A-01539705.

If that doesn't fix it-- but I'm sure it will-- then return it for a hassle-free refund!  

#8 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

A control board that won't enter test mode is almost always a slam-dunk for replacing the errant control board.  Come git you one:  http://www.repaircli...Number=WF520ABP

If that doesn't fix it-- but I'm sure it will-- then return it for a hassle-free refund!  

Thanks for the help... unfortunately it is Out of Stock at the moment.

Maybe we'll just have to wait for the service tech after all  :confused:

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

My experience with RC out of stock is this:  1) they are honest when they are out of stock vs. most other places will lie and tell you it's in stock just to make the sale and 2) they get out of stock stuff really, really fast-- the longest I've ever had to wait for an out of stock part from RC is two weeks.  

#10 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

My experience with RC out of stock is this:  1) they are honest when they are out of stock vs. most other places will lie and tell you it's in stock just to make the sale and 2) they get out of stock stuff really, really fast-- the longest I've ever had to wait for an out of stock part from RC is two weeks.  

I'll keep watch on it then. 

We talked to Samsung and they are hopefully extending the warranty to cover this, if not... I'll definitely be back ordering that part!

#11 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Is your washer on a surge protector? A vast number of electronic control replacements we come acrossed aren't.

http://electronics.h...e-protector.htm

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Surge suppressors are a great add-on sale item.  I buy these by the box, keep 'em in the Guru Mobile and sell several a week:  http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

#13 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Is your washer on a surge protector? A vast number of electronic control replacements we come acrossed aren't.

It isn't :( But it will now! 

Surge suppressors are a great add-on sale item.  I buy these by the box, keep 'em in the Guru Mobile and sell several a week:  http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

Thanks for the recommendation, will add that to my cart :thumbsup:

#14 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

So had our visit with the service tech... great guy, very helpful.

He ordered the part... it was the main control... unfortunately he said they wouldn't be able to come back to put it in for at easily 2+ weeks. So instead, I'm having the part sent to us and we will do it ourselves, hopefully it will be here next week. Samsung had agreed to pay for the part so nothing out of pocket at this point. (thankfully because it did look like they charged quite a bit more for the part than RepairClinic). 

So thanks all for the help, any recommendations, hints, clues, advice on how to go about replacing the control board? I'm thinking of taking pics/video of how the wires attach as the tech guy said that was the trickiest part. Any more tips?

Thanks again,

Melissa

#15 missiethegal

missiethegal

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks all... got the Control Board delivered earlier today and we just switched it out and it's up and running! :rocker: yeah yeah!

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Great job, missie!   :dude:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: samsung washer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics