Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Seal system problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

I was working on a fridge the other day, it wasnt cooling, the condenser was filthy, so i cleaned it.
I pulled the evap cover off and there was a build up of ice around where the cap tube enters the evap tube.
My question is, is this caused by a freon leak? Is it a restriction? I see this a lot and i know its a seal system problem, but i would like to know more specifically.
Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

http://fixitnow.com/...job-case-study/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

From link above:

It is illegal to simply add refrigerant to a refrigeration system that has leaked without locating and repairing the source of the leak because the refrigerant will simply leak back out into the environment.

I do not think it's illegal to charge any appliance that holds less than 50 lbs of refrigerant and not fix the leak.  It may be dumb and a quick "temporary" fix with that cannot be warrantied, but I do not think it's illegal.  The appliance must hold more than 50 lbs of refrigerant and lose some percentage of a charge per year before the EPA requires the leak to be repaired. 

http://www.epa.gov/o...6/608/leak.html

Edited by jkirksey1889, 29 May 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#4 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,778 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Im almost posative you must fix the leak. Even if you dont have to fix the leak, that is not the correct repair. The refrigerant will slowly leak and have the same problem in the future.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#5 jkirksey1889

jkirksey1889

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Im almost posative you must fix the leak. Even if you dont have to fix the leak, that is not the correct repair. The refrigerant will slowly leak and have the same problem in the future.

My argument, not really arguing, isn't whether or not it is the correct repair.  I'm simply pointing out that the EPA doesn't care if you fix it or not.  Well maybe they care, but they do not require it to be repaired. 

The leak repair requirements, promulgated under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act, require that when an owner or operator of an appliance that normally contains a refrigerant charge of more than 50 pounds discovers that refrigerant is leaking at a rate that would exceed the applicable trigger rate during a 12-month period, the owner or operator must take corrective action.

#6 Tone Blair

Tone Blair

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

So, thats what i suspected, i never recommend repairing the seal system. I was just wondering if it were a leak or restriction. Thanks everyone!

#7 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

Usually it's low on freon, check amp draw on compressor a system low on freon should have a low amp draw (.2-.4amps). Also you can restart a compressor that's low on freon in a short period of time without tripping overload, a restricted system would take longer. Without tapping into the system and checking pressures you can't know for sure

#8 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Check the filter drier.

If it is cold or iced you have a restriction.

If not,you have a defective compressor or a refrigerant leak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics