Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

mpm8789

Whirlpool Microwave

14 posts in this topic

Model GH6177XPS5

This microwave has a touchpad display and the customer was complaining that the display was blank and microwave wouldnt heat.  They also said they saw an f7 error.  So when I went out the display was blank and so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the display came on and the microwave wasn't heating.  I am at a lose on what to order the lcd display, control board, or inverter board either way it seems like I am throwing parts at it.  According to the f7 error it says to start with the inverter board I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to replace first.

Thanks,

Michael

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

F7 is indicating an inverter problem and it is very common on any of the microwaves that use the inverter system for the high voltage supply to have a failed inverter board.

The only one that I've worked on and actually got an OK for the job, it was real obvious after getting to the inverter board that it was at least one of the problems, (the board was totally fried).  The inverter board frying itself didn't cause any damage to the controller board and replacing the inverter board fixed the problem.

Yours may have other problems since the display is blanking out.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Should be ok just replacing the 1100W inverter will cure all.  Lcd control should be fine after resetting.

Holy crappacioli!  I can't believe that price difference!  Five times more for the exact same Panasonic board??  That one must be made out of gold.  

That's what I was thinking sometimes hearing someone else agree and see that issue before makes me a lot more confident.  The only thing that was bothering me is that the lcd display went blank but hopefully that will be fine.

Thanks for the input guys and have a good day,

Michael

Be careful.. I've had a bad mag throw the same error, I would check mag for shorts and continuity first before ordering inverter board, high limit t-stat on cavity or mag could cause dead condition (no display) although I don't think those reset.

As JJ Surfer just said: Also check magnetron terminals to ground. After replacing the magnetron and control board, I've found a shorted mag will also give you this F-7 error code, indicated by pulsing power to the mag just before the error code is displayed...

Edited by Chat_in_FL

Be careful.. I've had a bad mag throw the same error, I would check mag for shorts and continuity first before ordering inverter board, high limit t-stat on cavity or mag could cause dead condition (no display) although I don't think those reset.

As JJ Surfer just said: Also check magnetron terminals to ground. After replacing the magnetron and control board, I've found a shorted mag will also give you this F-7 error code, indicated by pulsing power to the mag just before the error code is displayed...

Good tips for the Evernote file.  Domo, dudes!  

After replacing the magnetron and control board

I meant so say Inverter and control board... :rolleyes:

This method doesn't work for inverter systems, (no capacitor to discharge).

The bad/sweet burning smell would still most likely be a bad mag tube but could also be a burning up inverter board, (if no signs of burning on inverter board or any other boards then you can be pretty sure it the mag tube).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair