Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG LSC27921TT Ice Maker Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

My ice maker stopped working.  I tried hitting the test switch several times, nothing happened other than it beeped once.  Finally got the test switch to work, which may have been after putting it in the Ice Plus mode.  In the Ice Plus mode (which drops the freezer temp for 24 hours to produce ice more quickly), it seemed to work.  After the Ice Plus mode ran through it's cycle, it went back to not producing ice.  I usually have the freezer set to -3 degrees F.  I hit the test switch several times again, nothing happened, other than a beep.  I did also notice the feeler arm is all the way up, parallel to the ice cube tray, and will not move.  After it made a batch in Ice Plus mode, it did move and functioned properly, but went back up to parallel to the ice tray postion and stayed there.  I was told the feeler arm may be frozen.  But, doubt that is the case if it was functioning properly in the Ice Plus mode.  What could be the problem?

Thanx!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

How's the unit cooling in freezer?  Any fault codes indicated on display?  Is the flex tray found in horizontal position when testing?  When engaging Ice Plus mode compressor and evaporator fan will run for three hours to speed up ice production.  Shut off arm should be ok.  Could be faulty ice sensor on tray or hall sensor inside icemaker.

#3 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Freezer seems normal.  No fault codes displayed.  The tray is in the upright position when testing.  Seemed to produce slow in Ice Plus mode.  I did notice one of the cubes on the tray is not filling all the way, if that would cause any problem.  Are either of these sensors worth, or possible, to replace?  Any way to test them?  If it is the sensors, am I better off replacing the icemaker?  Thanx!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

If the actual temperature inside the freezer is above 17.6F, the ice maker will not harvest the ice.  Since you can't distinguish between 15F and 18F by feel, which is all the difference between cold enough to harvest and not, then you need an accurate temperature measurement inside the freezer.  A normally functioning refrigerator should have no trouble maintaining 0F in the freezer.  

Need your complete model number, including the the numbers after the "/" 

The tray is in the upright position when testing.

Does this mean with horizontal with the mold cup openings facing upwards?  Or is the mold edge facing up (mold vertical)?

I hit the test switch several times again, nothing happened, other than a beep. 

This alone indicates a bad ice sensor or hall sensor.  Nothing on this ice maker is separately replaceable-- the entire ice maker is replaced as a unit:  http://www.repaircli...JA1005D/1266867

Ice-Maker-Assembly-5989JA1005D-01046350.

#5 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

The model number of the Fridge is LG LSC27921TT, do not believe there is a "/" with more numbers, but will double check.

Mold cups facing upward.

When I first hit the test switch, it did nothing, but then did work and functioned in the Ice Plus mode.  After that, test switch did not work again.

Thanx so much!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Need an accurate freezer temperature measurement.  If it's around 0F, then replace the ice maker:  http://www.repaircli...JA1005D/1266867

#7 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

The model number is LG LSC27921TT/02.  I came home, tried turning it off and on again, tried the test switch several times, would just get the chime the first time I hit it, then nothing until trying again later, would get the same.  Turned on the Ice Plus, tried the test again, the chime, then nothing.  I turned the ice maker off, took the ice cube holder drawer out, took the feeler arm off and put back on, then started to take the first screw out of the ice maker.  While still off, it dispensed the cubes and filled!  I replaced the screw and hit the test button, nothing happened.  I turned the ice maker back on, hit the test button and it ran it's test cycle.  Tried again, and it ran it again.  I put the drawer back in and closed the door.  I then pulled the fridge away from the wall.  A big ball of dust and dog fur was in front of the where the water line comes in, the fan is and where it intakes air.  It definitely sounds a lot quieter and, not sure if my imagination or not, seems like the water dispenses faster?  Could this have anything to do with anything?!?  Am leaving the ice maker in Ice Plus mode overnight.  Will keep you posted.

#8 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've never heard a chime when I push the test button on the ice maker. Test button on the bottom of the ice maker should cause an immediate response from the ice maker, eject motor Should run and then fill whether its in ice plus or not.

#9 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

When the test switch does work, it does not chime.  Maybe the chime is an indicator of a problem?

The ice maker did produce ice in the Ice Plus mode overnight, will see what happens after that.

#10 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

The ice maker is producing ice, but very slowly.  The tray is not filling completely with water, the first cube in the right rear is not filling.  Could that be causing an issue with the sensor?  The ice maker does not have the cube size selection as the owner's manual suggests, any way to increase the water flow into the tray?

#11 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Or, is there a way to adjust that side down?

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Not much adjustment possible being it's mounted to freezer ceiling.  Incomplete fill as described shouldn't interfere with harvest.  The fact that it began a harvest cycle while handling unit could indicate internal problem in icemaker.  Provided freezer temps are good under normal operation might just have to replace icemaker.  Make sure air flow is good.

#13 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Seems to be working ok now.  Part of the problem with the tray filling is probably due to it being so twisted from being twisted to free the cubes, what a poor set up.  First fridge with an ice maker, didn't even think to look at that before purchasing.  Will know better the next time.

#14 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well done, Brother khak1.  Sometimes you just gotta scare 'em to death before they start working correctly.  It's a technical thing.

#15 khak1@aol.com

khak1@aol.com

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanx!  Was ready to beat it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics