Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
suampman

frigidaire gas dryer mod glgr341as4

17 posts in this topic

Went out on this dryer today. The lady said she bought the house 2 years ago and the dryer always made a loud noise when the flame was on. I checked it out. It has been changed from NG to LP. The problem is the flame is nice and blue, but puffs like there is an interuption in the gas flow, making a noisy flame.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Puffs only on ignition or all throughout the flame cycle?  If the latter, then check the gas supply tubing installation.  Can also use a gauge-type manometer to check gas pressure going to the valve.  For LP, gas pressure should be between 11 and 13" w.c.

Thanks for the reply. It puffs all through the flame cycle. Sometimes when it puffs the flame travels back to through the flash tube to the orifice for a brief second. The gas company that supplies the LP checked the connections this morn and said they are all good. I am going back today with new conversion kit and instructions so I can verify that it was done right.

I do not have a manometer. I will check the regulator at the tank but I would think the gas company would have set the " of WC.

I do not have a manometer.

Time to add one to your arsenal.  Working on gas appliances without a manometer is like working on electrical circuits without a meter.  Here's the kind I use:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKPGW6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002YKPGW6&linkCode=as2&tag=mrssamskit-20

Manometer reading should tell the tale.  Could be a problem with the outside regulator or gas supply.

Thank you both. Supposedly the gas co. checked the outside regulator. The manometer will be ordered asap (today). I will let you know what I find.

I forgot to mention the gas furnace and gas stove work perfect. I would think that the gas pressure is correct this being the case. Any other ideas are welcome.

May be a problem with the gas line run to the dryer.  I'm always amazed at the installation Eff-ups I run into.  May be perfectly fine.  Bottom line, though: without measuring the gas pressure to that specific appliance, you're only left with guessing that the valve is bad.  

When you attach your new to be purchased manometer to the dryer gas valve,check the pressure with ALL other gas appliances operating.

Ordered manometer today. Lady went back to Chicago. Said she will be back next week. I will keep you all posted. Thanks

Went back with trusty manometer and lp conversion kit in hand. Took the allen screw out and attached the manometer to the front of the gas valve. When I turned the dryer on and the valve opened I read 14" of WC. Every where I look they say the pressures should be 8-11"WC. Samurai said 11-13"WC. Is the place in which I am reading(the allen screw port at opposite the orifice hood) on the valve/reg. the line pressure coming in from the tank before it is regulated? It only reads when the valve comes on.

I went through the lp conversion instructions and found that the whole conversion was not done. The shutter for air adjustment and the alignment collar was not installed. I installed these parts and was able to adjust the flame to eliminate the puffing. The flame is not the flame I am used to seeing (more rigid), but is all blue and the dryer cycles between 120f and 155f at the vent.

The customer said the gas company is coming back out to paint her gas tank. I asked her to have them recheck the regulator pressure at the tank.

Does all this seem to be right? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any pertinent, or non pertinent info. on this fine thursday.

Edited by suampman

You read it correctly.

The main tank regulator may need adjusting.

11"w.c. would be better.

Too much incoming pressure will cause the issue.

When I turned the dryer on and the valve opened I read 14" of WC.

You done found the problem, Boodrow!  Nice shootin'!   :armed:

Thank you for your responses and your help.

I have seen a lot of lp fridigaire dryers that have noisy burners, I have found that the air shutter cover is critical!

Thanks for the input surfer. One more update: Gas company went to ladies house today and checked the "WC at the tank and it was 14"WC. He adjusted it back to 11"WC. He ran all the appliances to make sure they worked OK. The lady called to express her appreciation. All is happy on Jeptha lake in Grand Junction MI.

Again thanks to all who helped. You guys make me look brilliant.

Great job, Brother suamp!  Domo for posting the happy ending!   :wub: