Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

frigidaire gas dryer mod glgr341as4

erratic flame

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Went out on this dryer today. The lady said she bought the house 2 years ago and the dryer always made a loud noise when the flame was on. I checked it out. It has been changed from NG to LP. The problem is the flame is nice and blue, but puffs like there is an interuption in the gas flow, making a noisy flame.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Puffs only on ignition or all throughout the flame cycle?  If the latter, then check the gas supply tubing installation.  Can also use a gauge-type manometer to check gas pressure going to the valve.  For LP, gas pressure should be between 11 and 13" w.c.

#3 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. It puffs all through the flame cycle. Sometimes when it puffs the flame travels back to through the flash tube to the orifice for a brief second. The gas company that supplies the LP checked the connections this morn and said they are all good. I am going back today with new conversion kit and instructions so I can verify that it was done right.
I do not have a manometer. I will check the regulator at the tank but I would think the gas company would have set the " of WC.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

I do not have a manometer.

Time to add one to your arsenal.  Working on gas appliances without a manometer is like working on electrical circuits without a meter.  Here's the kind I use:  http://www.amazon.co...g=mrssamskit-20

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Manometer reading should tell the tale.  Could be a problem with the outside regulator or gas supply.

#6 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thank you both. Supposedly the gas co. checked the outside regulator. The manometer will be ordered asap (today). I will let you know what I find.

#7 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

I forgot to mention the gas furnace and gas stove work perfect. I would think that the gas pressure is correct this being the case. Any other ideas are welcome.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

May be a problem with the gas line run to the dryer.  I'm always amazed at the installation Eff-ups I run into.  May be perfectly fine.  Bottom line, though: without measuring the gas pressure to that specific appliance, you're only left with guessing that the valve is bad.  

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

When you attach your new to be purchased manometer to the dryer gas valve,check the pressure with ALL other gas appliances operating.

#10 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ordered manometer today. Lady went back to Chicago. Said she will be back next week. I will keep you all posted. Thanks

#11 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Went back with trusty manometer and lp conversion kit in hand. Took the allen screw out and attached the manometer to the front of the gas valve. When I turned the dryer on and the valve opened I read 14" of WC. Every where I look they say the pressures should be 8-11"WC. Samurai said 11-13"WC. Is the place in which I am reading(the allen screw port at opposite the orifice hood) on the valve/reg. the line pressure coming in from the tank before it is regulated? It only reads when the valve comes on.

I went through the lp conversion instructions and found that the whole conversion was not done. The shutter for air adjustment and the alignment collar was not installed. I installed these parts and was able to adjust the flame to eliminate the puffing. The flame is not the flame I am used to seeing (more rigid), but is all blue and the dryer cycles between 120f and 155f at the vent.

The customer said the gas company is coming back out to paint her gas tank. I asked her to have them recheck the regulator pressure at the tank.

Does all this seem to be right? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any pertinent, or non pertinent info. on this fine thursday.

Edited by suampman, 06 June 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#12 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

You read it correctly.

The main tank regulator may need adjusting.

11"w.c. would be better.

Too much incoming pressure will cause the issue.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

When I turned the dryer on and the valve opened I read 14" of WC.

You done found the problem, Boodrow!  Nice shootin'!   :armed:

#14 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Thank you for your responses and your help.

#15 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

I have seen a lot of lp fridigaire dryers that have noisy burners, I have found that the air shutter cover is critical!

#16 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the input surfer. One more update: Gas company went to ladies house today and checked the "WC at the tank and it was 14"WC. He adjusted it back to 11"WC. He ran all the appliances to make sure they worked OK. The lady called to express her appreciation. All is happy on Jeptha lake in Grand Junction MI.
Again thanks to all who helped. You guys make me look brilliant.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Great job, Brother suamp!  Domo for posting the happy ending!   :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics