Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
applianceman97

vmw no agitate or spin

14 posts in this topic

Wont agitate or spin. Motor hums. Motor windings check good. Pin 3 to 9 = 6.5 ohm pin 6 to 9 = 6.5 ohm. Machine gives me speed sensor fault. I feel like a total idiot because I havent got the skinny test leads yet so I cant do the full testing procedure. (Going to pick some up now) in the mean time, anyone have aney ideas. Really seems like the motor to me. With no belt on the machine I can get the motor to spin for agitation but not reverse the other direction for spin. Made a Huge mistake and forgot the model number. (Please dont shun me) sorry. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by applianceman97

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check capacitor, capacitor connections and continuity of wiring between capacitor and motor. Check continuity of wiring between motor and control board. Washer design is known for bad connections and broken wires especially at wire tie down points. Motor should constantly reverse direction for agitation and go in one direction only for spin. Speed sensor is in shift actuator and measures basket speed. If motor doesn't operate in spin, you will get speed sensor fault.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56

Im gonna be really dumb right now... how do you check the capacitor? Ive never had to test one in 5 years of doing this?

Its weird how with the belt off the motor it spun 1 direction in agigtate. (I thought it was supposed to switch directions)

Power is switched via the control board from motor pin 9 and 3 to reverse direction. If capacitor looks physically ok, it's probably good. Bad cap will typically overheat and become distorted or even blow a hole in it. You can do a static test by first shorting the terminals with a screwdriver blade to discharge any voltage on it and then check resistance across it. It should show low resistance at first gradually going higher as it charges up. Many good multimeters will have a capacitor check function that will give value of the capacitor which should be about 45 microfarads on these washers. Sounds to me like you may have an open wire/bad connection or faulty control board if capacitor checks out.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56

Thanks Guys. I will check all that. I think it may be the capacitor. I can hear the motor pulsing but its just not turning.

you have to watch when you test the motor circuit if you test it at the board or right at the motor you bypass the capacitor circuit.  you need to check for continuity from the red wire at the capacitor to the red wire right at the motor

More than likely you got broken wires.

I'm betting capacitor, I had a bad cap on one of these, just for fun I pulled a refer run cap off a start device (15uf) and the washer cap was 45uf?, it got the motor to run but in agitate the motor would not reverse directions. Went back with proper capacitor and it worked. Did you check for error codes?

Im gonna be really dumb right now... how do you check the capacitor? Ive never had to test one in 5 years of doing this?

Good Capacitor:

meter-capacitor-good.gif

Evil, Wicked Naughty Capacitor:

meter-capacitor-shorted.gif

note:

for above tests, analog OHM meter on the Rx1 scale

test for OHMs

then reverse the meter probes

1st picture "good"

2nd picture "bad"

note to Samurai,

pictures not always "animating"

Thanks all the help guys. The capacitor was blown out.

Awesome!  Thanks for letting us know!   :dude:

Get a meter that will properly test a capacitor, a Fluke 116 gives me accurate info so I don't have to waste time wondering. I find caps that are way off spec, usually when I get a motor to install someone else ordered.

cool thanks for the info. I will have to pick one up!