Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana ice maker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Willingrvw

Willingrvw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

Our side by side Amana, model 36568, mfg P1108503WL a couple of weeks ago started making no or small ice cubes.  I've tested the solenoid by reversing the water and ice maker leads and activating the ice maker solenoid by pushing the water valve on the door.  That seems to work fine. 

It doesn't fill the tray fully with water.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  When I fill the tray manually with a water bottle, the next several cycles seem to be bigger cubes, but then it gets down to nothing again.

Coincidentally (maybe??) about 6 months ago, the unit began freezing up periodically and the fingers would not rotate fully to eject the ice cubes.  Warming with a hair dryer freed the stuck cubes and it would work again for a while.

Samurai, does it sound like time for a new icemaker unit?  Any suggestions for diagnosis or repair will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..........Ralph

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:30 PM

If I were on the service call, I'd manually harvest the icemaker several times and check the fill volume each time.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

The ice maker is most likely a time fill system.  How much water goes into the ice maker in the allotted time, usually arount 8 seconds, is how much water will be in the mold.  I would suspect something has reduced the volume of water in this 8 seconds of time.  This usually goes back to the fill valve going bad or the water supply to the valve has a problem, but that would also effect the water thru the door also.   I would suspect the fill valve is going bad, or you have a restriction in the water line from the valve to the ice maket thru tube. Or if this box has a filter to the ice maker, be sure it is not clogged.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Willingrvw

Willingrvw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Saw both of these replies.  However, before I could investigate further, I had to go out of town and of course that's when the thing decided to act up.  Wife called, saying the water dispenser on the door wouldn't shut off and she called a plumber.  He replaced the double solenoid valve (the same one that I reversed leads on and seemed to work fine) and he told her it would also solve the "no/small ice cube" problem.

By phone, I disagreed with her, but of course he was right.  Seems to be making ice cubes again.  Go figure.

Thanks for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics