Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid Refrigerator intermittent no cool

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

KSRS27ILBT03

I checked this one out about a week a go.  It was cooling fine that day, but customer just called and said the freezer up to 40 degrees.  She stated that sometimes it will begin to cool again after she un-plugs it for a few minutes.

Evap fan is operating in the no cool state.

I'm thinking control board 8201658

Anyone else run across one of these?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Had similar issue with a built-in that had both Gemini and niagra boards.  Intermittent temp problems.  Couldn't pin it down.  Tech-line advise replacing both controls.  Still had temp issues.  Finally replaced interface control board and that fixed it.  Have you tried accessing diagnostic mode for component checks?

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Was this the interface board you replaced to fix that wayward fridge, Brother PDUff?  http://www.repaircli...er=KSRS27ILBT03

Main-Control-Board-8201658-00739057.jpg

#4 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Pduff and Samurai for the replies.  I did go through the diagnostics but it was pointless as the refer was cooling at that time.  I'm going back out tomorrow to take a look at it, and hopefully it will still be in a broken state.

By looking at the parts breakdown, the only control I can see is the aforementioned board that the Samurai has supplied a link to.  There is a thermistor that  could be replaced as well (2188819).

If this thing had analog controls I'd already have a cold control on order and call it a day.

The stakes go up quite a bit between a $60 cold control and $200 control board.

Thanks again for the assistance.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Affirmative on the control.  As far as the true nature of the problem within the control I can only guess it was defrost related by the conditions noticed.  Sometimes found frost and overcooling in frz section and sometimes warmer temps like 40 degrees and lots of moisture in freezer.  Sound familiar?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

KSRS27ILBT03
Evap fan is operating in the no cool state.

Re-read your post. Are you saying here that the evap fan is running when the compressor is not? If so, you may have a flakey compressor relay or a loose connection at the relay. Been bitten by that one before. Check it out.

#7 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Re-read your post. Are you saying here that the evap fan is running when the compressor is not? If so, you may have a flakey compressor relay or a loose connection at the relay. Been bitten by that one before. Check it out.

Great point!  I will give it a thorough examination.  Thanks for the tip!

#8 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Update:  So I arrive today to investigate the KA refer that only cools when it wants to.  Of course, she is back to down to zero in the freezer and everything is running as advertised.

With the voice of the Samurai still echoing in my head, I pull the refer from it's crevice and take the back panel off.  Being a previous in-warranty type of guy (Maytag compressor start relay recall survivor) this is a familiar sight.  I pull the compressor start device off, shake shake, rattle rattle - BINGO!

Thanks again to the Samurai & PDuff for the assistance.

I have replaced many compressor start devices, but have not until today, seen it cause such intermittent cooling issues.  One day older, one day wiser.

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Right there with ya, Thirstytech.  I try to catch the simple solutions when I can but still tend to yell Yeehah and jump right to the big stuff.  Sure did love all those free replay kits from the Maytag/Whirlpool reworks.  What kind of relay did you mind on this one?  Big, square white Klixon style?  Must've been on the verge of full on failure.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Nice job! Ran into a similar problem recently, that how I knew to point it out. Here's the story:

#11 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Right there with ya, Thirstytech.  I try to catch the simple solutions when I can but still tend to yell Yeehah and jump right to the big stuff.  Sure did love all those free replay kits from the Maytag/Whirlpool reworks.  What kind of relay did you mind on this one?  Big, square white Klixon style?  Must've been on the verge of full on failure.

Yes sir, big square white one.  

#12 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Nice job! Ran into a similar problem recently, that how I knew to point it out. Here's the story:

This Thursday afternoon... got a call... same WP SxS... the way the customer described, it was going to be a slam dunk start relay replacement... shake rattle and roll... compressor starts right up after installing the new relay.... and runs for about 30 seconds, then stopped running....  15 min, 1 part job turns into  45 mins with the ADC being the 2nt part...   it is rare to see two parts fail... but, just common enough, to make a YouTube Star!!

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yes sir, big square white one.  

Probably the 1786 kit.  I keep two of these on the Guru Mobile:  http://www.repaircli...er=KSRS27ILBT03

Start-Device-8201786-01023086.jpg

Basic installation tips (for future readers) in this video:

#14 tonytech81

tonytech81

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lime @ cold Tea

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

put data logger in

#15 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

http://appliantology...f-data-loggers/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics