Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

No "tickee", no "washee" - Kenmore Built Whirlpool's timer will not advance; is it past it's time?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Greetings, oh-long-lost-bretheren o'mine!

Model: 110.28894791

Serial: CJ0701440

So - up until 2 days ago, machine worked fine (yes - a little beat up when we bought it used 3 years ago, but for $150? No contest!)

Now, will fill just fine...but won't move on after that.

No sounds whatsoever coming from the timer...am used to that quiet ticking/ratcheting sound.

Hubby is willing to attempt a repair, but he's a 2-beer only operator. Anything beyond that, and I'll be getting a "new" used machine.

I know that you all are wisest of the wise....what need this lowly (and no longer Whirlpool employed) appliantologist do? I appeal to the greatest masters of the art!

Sincerely,

Robin the Hood

Edited by Robin the Hood, 30 May 2013 - 07:41 PM.

"If you want your tree to produce plenty o' fruit, you've got to cut it back from time to time. Same thing with your neural cells. Some people might call it brain damage. I call it prunin'".

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hey Robin...longtime no see...I ass-u-me you have checked the lid switch...some of these won't agitate or spin with lid open.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Greetings, Kurtius! Been a long time away from Whirlpool....but his particular machine will agitate just fine with the lid up. It won't spin (safety precaution), but it will agitate.

Edited by Robin the Hood, 30 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

"If you want your tree to produce plenty o' fruit, you've got to cut it back from time to time. Same thing with your neural cells. Some people might call it brain damage. I call it prunin'".

#4 RussTech

RussTech

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Heineken

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just for kicks, did you check the lid switch anyways? Your going to be stripping the case so you might as well jump it out. You know the routine. Pop the two pieces of the side trim, remove phillips screws, flip console back, pop the two case clips. yada yada. Check and see if the timer is getting voltage, check and see if its sending that voltage appropriately. etc and so forth. 

#5 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Good idea! Will give it a try and get back, RussTech!

#6 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

If you advance the timer manually, will it drain/spin?

Eric

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

I can't find the wiring diagram for that model,

unless you have one you could scan & upload

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

kenmore3951530.jpg

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

just a guess, check connections at the Washer Motor

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

That's why I suggest checking drain/spin mode. Particularly drain if you can find it manually advancing the timer because drain mode bypasses both the motor switch and speed select switch. If motor won't work in drain, you likely have a faulty neutral connection, possibly at the motor overload switch. This would prevent the timer from advancing (which you say it isn't) as well as no motor function. Unplug washer and checking continuity from plug neutral (wide blade) to motor white/black wire would confirm faulty neutral through motor.

Eric

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Old trick for old timers.  Advance to wash or spin cycle as Bro fairbank suggests.  Pull knob.  If nothing happens put slight upward pressure on timer shaft and see if motor starts.  If it does, unplug and open console.  Try to wedge a small piece of 2x4 under timer housing to keep pressure on timer shaft and use that timer for all it's worth.  Also check contacts at the pressure switch.  Symptoms can vary from no fill to no spin or agitate.

#12 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Pressure switch has no effect on drain/spin mode other than spray function, only fill and agitate.

Eric

#13 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

LOL...nothing quite so complicated, after all!! Hubby never did level the damn thing properly...after removing the trim and swinging the control panel up, he noticed that a couple of the circuit boards weren't seated properly. Snapped them back in, because he was going to haul it outside (more work space) ...decided to plug it in first - just for GP - Viola!!! We now have a working machine!!

You can bet it's leveled in NOW...

Edited by Robin the Hood, 31 May 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#14 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Haha...nice work!
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#15 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Still...thanks to ALL of you for jumping right in on this! I've missed you all! Since WP "pulled the plug" on the West Coast CXC, finished my Associates Degree and now work for THE Major Global Wholesale Warehouse's Website. Guess who their "go to" is for appliances?? LOL...

#16 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

And the video for how to take the cabinet apart was a BIG help! Who'd-a-thunk it was just that simple?

#17 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Interesting, there's only one circuit board in there and that's for controlling the water inlet valves and you said it filled fine. Must have been a connection on one of the switches. Anyway, you got it fixed and it didn't cost you a thing :thumbsup:

Eric

#18 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Exactly! And so far - 3 years of use (so far) for a machine that cost $150...heck, you can't get a new Riper for that these days!

ROPER...Damned auto correct!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics