Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM3001HRA Not Draining

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SumnerRain

SumnerRain

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Strange Brew

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have a 3.5 year old front loader than won't drain, serial number 912KWDJ00362.  I don't get a specific code, but it stops in the final ten minutes and says "Error - Not draining.  Check the drain hose & filter."  I cleaned out the filter, which had a couple of popcorn kernels, and manually drained it and then ran the Tide washer cleaner.  I ran a hot wash again without any laundry or soap.  No error.  So I washed a medium-small amount of rags with 1T Kirkland HE powdered soap and I got the same error to check the hose & filter.  The filter was still clean, and I could blow air just fine through the hose from the machine to the wall drain.  I hear a hum of a motor when it is attempting to drain, but it fails 100% of the time now.  I never get an OE error of any sort.

So I took the machine apart, and pulled out the drain assembly and all hoses appear clear.  I don't own an air compressor, so all I could do is blow air into them.  The impeller appears fine, all the pieces are intact and no hair was caught around the blades, it spins, but not freely, so I am guessing the magnets work fine.  The pump appears fine as well, but when I opened it up it was filled with black sand that smelled like dead puppies.

I figure my drain motor is going bad, but I hate to replace the part if I don't know for sure that is what is causint the error since therse was so much gunk in the motor and my error seems so non-specific.

Does this sound like I need a new drain pump, or could all the black tar/dead puppy/sand/grit be the culprit?  Is there a better way to check hoses without a compressor?  I really need to get back to laundry, I have 5 kids and it is piling up fast.

Thanks!

Heather

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

run the washer in spin and leave the filter out, stick your finger in when you hear the pump and see if its actually turning.  Sounds like a bad pump to me from your description and what you have checked

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Brother sh2 is all over this like the rising sun on Mt. Fuji. Here's the part link to your replacement drain pump: http://www.repaircli...umber=WM3001HRA

#4 SumnerRain

SumnerRain

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Brilliant, thank you!  I wish I would have thought of that before I sliced my finger opening this bad boy up.  :)  But hey, you can't have a appease the washing machine gods without a little human blood sacrifice, right? 

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

To live is to sacrifice.   :miner:

Let us know how it turns out!  

#6 SumnerRain

SumnerRain

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Well, I could not wait for the part, so I drug the husband on a road trip with me and we drove an hour and a half and paid double what we would have online, but I got the part.  I was kind of worried when the sales guy let me use his multimeter and both the old and new part had the same reading on the circuit.  When I got the part home though, I realized that the old drain pump was supposed to have the same "drag" as the impeller from the magnets, and my old pump was free turning.  We got the new pump in and it works like a dream!

So if anyone else finds this thread via Google, this is what I leave you:

BEFORE you take your machine apart, see post #2.

BOTH the impeller and the drain pump should be able to turn, but BOTH should sort of catch with a magnetic catch.

YouTube is a GREAT resource on how to take apart your machine.  Watch that computer panel though, it bites, and is hungry for blood.

Don't wait until Friday to take apart your machine, don't waste precious shipping days.

Take a TON of pictures with your cell phone, those pictures were priceless.  I also learned wire placement doesn't seem to matter.

Don't listen to people who tell you that at 3 years old your machine is junk.  I called a repair guy who told me it was hopeless because I had a front loader, without even looking at my machine.  Booo.  He also told me because I am a woman, that I could never fix it.  Lame.  I had two other local appliance repair people willing to help me through the process over the phone if I needed, one of those was a woman we met picking up the part.

Don't bother to look at the instructions on the back of your soap box, EVER.  Pull out your kitchen measuring spoons and a permanent marker.  Measure out one level tablespoon and draw a line on the manufacture's scoop, add one more tablespoon and draw a second line.  THOSE are your new lines for light/small loads and large/heavy loads.  Something like this: http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/B0041SRGG8 is pretty cool too.  I drew lines two years ago and I have never had a problem with teenagers using too much soap on their laundry since.

Don't be intimidated if you have never been much of a do-it-yourselfer, this really was a simple repair.  Have help though, that metal ring with a spring was a HUGE pain in the rear to get back onto the rubber ring.

My little shop-vac I got years ago on sale for $20 (normally $30) was awesome for cleaning out the accordion drain, and had an outflow that I was able to use as a "blower" to make sure all my lines were clear.  Not as good as an air compressor, but better than nothing.

Finally, my pump died a slow death over the process of days, draining sometimes, and not throwing errors every single time.  Don't rule out the pump immediately because it doesn't error out every single time.

Thank you Sensei-tachi, you both have been a great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics