Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE refrigerator GSH22JSTA-SS no cold enough

refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 edcmaak11

edcmaak11

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

My frig is not cold enough.  When I opened the back wall, the heater was on so I took my time to gut out the food.  When I got to the evaporator and was clear of ice.  I let it sat for ½ hour and check back and the evaporator has a thin layer of ice on it.  Sometimes the top 2 loops of the evaporator have ice and sometimes it didn’t within 2 hours of checking.  Sometimes water dripping from the 2 top 2 loops.  The ice maker has not ice coming out. 

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

It appears your thermistor has been replaced once before. Is that connection on the big ole yellow wire nut good and tight?

Second. Is the fan running inside your freezer? What about the fan in the back by your compressor?

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

Your evap may frost completely if the cover is left on and the fridge isn't defrosting unnecessarily. So I'm not so sure that's the problem.

I would begin with the obvious amd replace the evap thermistor and installing it properly. The wire nut used to connect the thermistor could be the root of your problem. Thermistors are to be installed using watertight butt connectors, bell connectors filled with silicone or soldered. If your thermistor or its connection is bad, your fridge could be defrosting too often.

Also test/replace all freezer and fridge thermistors. Make sure the damper opens and is free of frost.

What are your specfic temps?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

http://appliantology...nnotated-guide/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 edcmaak11

edcmaak11

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

It appears your thermistor has been replaced once before. Is that connection on the big ole yellow wire nut good and tight?

Second. Is the fan running inside your freezer? What about the fan in the back by your compressor?

I replaced the evaporator thermistor about a year ago.  I filled the yellow wire nut with silicone.  

I will check the fan in the compressor tonight. Thanks!

Your evap may frost completely if the cover is left on and the fridge isn't defrosting unnecessarily. So I'm not so sure that's the problem.

I would begin with the obvious amd replace the evap thermistor and installing it properly. The wire nut used to connect the thermistor could be the root of your problem. Thermistors are to be installed using watertight butt connectors, bell connectors filled with silicone or soldered. If your thermistor or its connection is bad, your fridge could be defrosting too often.

Also test/replace all freezer and fridge thermistors. Make sure the damper opens and is free of frost.

What are your specfic temps?

I didnt measured the temp, but the Freezer is not too cold but ice cream melt.  I will measure the temperature tonight.  

Silly question, what is a damper?  Thanks!

Going to test the thermistor first.  Does the new flat head thermistor free of trouble compare to the old round ones?  

Question, how is the different functions of the thermistor compare to defrost thermostat?

Thanks guys!

#6 edcmaak11

edcmaak11

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

I went home yesterday and tested the thermistor.  The evaporator was 27k ohms, freezer 19 and fruit was 12.  

I opened the back cover and found the grill was covered with dust.  I vacuumed and look like the pic below.  This was extremely hot on the compressor and on my tile floor.  I waited like 1/2 hour and used a garden hose and washed out most dirt.  Pushed it back and turned on and waited for an hour. now its much cooler.  

This morning I took the temperature for the freezer was 14 F and fruit was 31 F.  

The frig is constantly running at 120 watts.  saw some ice and bottle of water freezed in it.  I guess its running fine, but why its still on all the time overnight now.  

Attached Files

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

... covered with dust.  I vacuumed and look like the pic below. 

that's the source of your problems ..

gotta get all the dust out of there

either with the garden hose or compressed air

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 edcmaak11

edcmaak11

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

I checked this morning and its cooling now.  I guess the heat from the compressor melt the ice as per my first post that I saw 2 top loop of evaporators melt with dripping water.  It took 1 day to get my 1/2 of ice fill up in the bucket.  How long does it take for ice fill up in the bucket?  

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:33 AM

It's best to tell customers between 24 and 36 hours....longer if you keep peeking at it.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics