Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
completeapplianceservice

LG built Kenmore frosting in freezer, not defrost issue.

18 posts in this topic

This bottom freezer unit #79578092901 is building up heavy frost in the freezer outside of the access panel. It is defrosting properly, it acts like it has a bad seal and is letting warm air inside the freezer but there are no air gaps any where, and the door shuts properly.

After checking for gaps, I thought the unit was staying on for too long, also the customer stated he thought some items felt really hard like it was staying well under 0, so I replaced the control board and freezer thermistor. Customer called back about 5 days later and said it still is frosting up.

I can't really think of anything else that could cause this.

Any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Got he exact same issue on a LG Built GE ...heavy frost around perimeter of door in spots on liner and on rails...replaced door and seal (even though first seemed to be sealing great)...same issue. Absolutely no help from GEtechline (no big surprise there)

what say you, LG master John63?

I'm no Master john63 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

This has to be sucking in humid air from the condensate drain line for you to be seeing this moisture pattern you're seeing. Does the condensate drain have the duckbill check valve installed?

Not sure about mine...this unit is still less than I yr old (7-12) and problem just started a few weeks ago so, that may be possible.

Samurai, wouldn't the fan draw air through the coil first, there by incapacitating the warm air.

Is there a part number for said check valve?

My unit takes this drain hose, does it look like it has a check valve in it?

Drain-Hose-5251JA3003B--01048861.jpg

It would and it doesn't.  

Okay, my other lucky guess:  

if this unit has an ice maker, try shutting it off for a few days and see of the problem goes away.  The evap fan may be blowing the water to the ice maker all over the place.  If this is the problem, it'll go away when the ice maker it shut down.  

Gentlemen never kiss and tell.   :freakykiss:

Sure looks like the defrost drain tube comes with a check valve, (black rubber cap on end), to me!!

Maybe not a duckbill check like you're thinking of, but a cap with small slit to let water out but somewhat block warm air going back up tube.

Samurai, wouldn't the fan draw air through the coil first, there by incapacitating the warm air.

Is there a part number for said check valve?

My unit takes this drain hose, does it look like it has a check valve in it?

Drain-Hose-5251JA3003B--01048861.jpg

I just had another customer call today with what sounds like the same issue. LG must have a big problem on their hands. Fortunately for them most are out of warranty. Tried to save a few cents on foam and this is what happens.

When LG and Samsung first hit the American market I was running warranty calls constantly for frost in the bottom freezers.  Most frost issues were related to air flow issues and the primary fix from both manufacturers tech lines was to replace the main pcb.  Took care of the frost problem for about half of those units.  Guess we can add evaporator fan motors to that list.

He cheated. I don't know how,but,he cheated.

I was looking over Reg's shoulder and copying his answers. Well Mr. Tattletale, you didn't seem to care much about how I got hold of information you needed, now did ya? lol

Just a heads up, the part they are referring to is the freezer access panel. They call it a fan grille.

Just a heads up, the part they are referring to is the freezer access panel. They call it a fan grille.

...the bullentin calls it a "grillefan"....After reading it, I had no idea what there were talking about, so I  regurgitate their description and left it to you masters to figure it out...lol. ...good job Sohei!

LG grille fan assemblies (evaporator covers) are becoming a fast moving part around here.  Assemblies are available with just evap fan or both ice room and evap fan motors.  LG themselves are shotgunning these units to replace both grille fan assy's and main pcb's.