Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Tone Blair

LG DRYERS HELP!

9 posts in this topic

So, im scared of lg dryers, i pass them up.

I read somewhere about the igniter has to be in the perfect position?

Can i use regular coils on these?

Is it the coils or valves that go bad on these?

Are there common problems that i can spot?

Im tired of passing them up.

Help!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Did I miss a model number????           What is the complaint???

This is all theoretical, just wondering if there are common things that go bad specifically with LG

None that I know of......Do not see to many of them....But  a dryer is a dryer, just more bells and whistles on some of them,.............. I.E. more things to go wrong.....=$$... :tongue: ............

If you were going to start servicing a brand of appliance that you normally didn't, I would start with the dryers... they are the most simpliest machines to deal with.  You could always shy away from gas models until you become more comfortable with the electrics.

Most common problems with a properly installed LG or any other brand gas dryer are coils and flat bar ignitors.  Coils I would replace with parts specific to that model.  But Norton made a flat bar ignitor that could used on just about anything, even a gas range.  Handy truck stock item.  However, with more and more electronic controls and relay boards being used it has made things more interesting.

Edited by PDuff

you can't replace the coils on a lg dryer, you must replace the whole gas valve

Edited by sh2sh2

Add thermal cut-offs, belts, and cracked drums to the list.

You have to take them all apart to do anything, so I advise a total cleaning, checking, and lubricating, before you put it back together. Because, if it sounds odd when you try it, you get to rip it all apart once again. The noise complains are the worse, all you can do is rip it down and check everything. Use a vac to clean the drum seals real good, if you don't you'll get scraping noises. 

The more you do, the better you'll get. But it will suck true at the beginning.

Right on, thanks for all the help guys!