Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cracked drums on LG dryers

declined estimates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

I noticed something on a LG dryer the other day. It was stacked, so I ordered parts and scheduled it with a helper. We took it down and tore it apart to install new rollers, belt, and pulley, The left side roller on the front bulkhead was totally destroyed. I replaced it with the shaft/pulley assembly and just the rollers on the other 3, cleaned and lubed of course. We put it together and tested it. It had a pretty solid drum seam thump when running.

We took it back apart and I found the drum did not touch the right front roller at all, maybe 3/8" or more gap. When I checked the panel I noticed there are 2 holes in the area of that rollers shaft location. The dryer was kinda toasted inside so there was a clear mark where the shaft was mounted, so we are certain the new shaft was in the same location the factory had used. I move the shaft to the other hole and the dryer ran smooth and quiet. 

I wonder how often the factory uses the wrong hole, and this might be causing the cracked drums. In the wrong position, that roller does nothing, and the left hand roller bears all the weight in the front. The excess load on a single point working on that seam could be causing the cracking, at least in some cases.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 completeapplianceservice

completeapplianceservice

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

I've never come across this problem. Interesting.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

... I noticed something on a LG dryer the other day

pictures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

gallery_4_8_390437.png

#5 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

Seen cracked drums before, sounds like a roller or a kinked belt, threw me off the first time.

I ordered a belt back in 2008 , but when i took apart  i saw the cracked drum .  Unit was 13 months old, customer  had LG replace due to warranty I believe 20 years?

They wanted $300 for labor , but after long fight they fixed it "Gratis"  but messed up his hinges?? go figure.

Luckily Hurricane Ike came along Galveston & took dryer with it.

I used to replace on LG & Samsung all 4 rollers but have since stopped & only replace the front ones.

*** On a few instances I have found drum cracked at the seam but not destroyed,  a lateral crack 1"to  1.5", I have used on 2

occasions, heavy aluminum A.C. duct tape to reshape & repair.   Have not had a call back  yet.   After you work on a different

problem this is the last thing you want to see because you know customer will not go for it.   So I told customer that along with

vacuuming the lint & all the TLC , I saw a hair line crack & repaired it with Alum. tape free of charge.  They know they have a future

problem & I am in the clear.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Cause discovered for cracked drums on LG dryers?

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 08 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Brother nickfixit shares these observations from the field on what may well be the cause for the infamous cracked drum problem with LG dryers. Something to watch for...

http://appliantology..._4_8_390437.png

Source: Cracked drums on LG dryers

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics