Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung washer - no power

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Gluten-free :)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I have the same exact problem - same washer. I don't know that there was a lightening strike, but my housekeeper said the washer stopped mid-cycle. I've replaced the sub PCB and display board. It turned on one time for a brief second and then went dark. I can't get it to turn on again at all. There is current running through everything. Do I need to replace the main PCB? Ugh! Can't even get power to run quick test mode.

Thank you for any help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Splitting this off into a new topic.  

Are you getting 120vac at the blue and white wire at the main PCB?  If not, then you have a bad noise filter.  

Please post your complete BOM.  

#3 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

Okay. Hoping BOM is the model number. If so, it's WF448AAP/XAA.

If I'm doing it right (big if) it seems that I'm getting about 130 at the blue and white wires. My PCB is reversed from the one on the service manual. From the diagram, it looks like I'm putting the probes in the main power relay switch. It looks like the Reactor Connection Port (CN1) is related to the noise filter, but my wires to that are both red. I'm getting nada there. Here is a link to photos of my board and the upside down pic I'm working from. https://drive.google...QWM&usp=sharing Tried to upload, but they're all too big. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Richelle

Edited by Richelle Fatheree, 07 June 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Good pictures! Okay, in CN2, just below the red CN1 in your first and third photos, are you getting 120vac between pins 1 and 2, black to yellow?

#5 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

More like 50, which I just found out is plenty to give yourself a nice jolt!  :woot:

#6 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've ordered the noise filter. Is there a way to work around the bad one so I can do laundry? I can stand a little noise if I can wash clothes before the part arrives.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

What's the part number of the noise filter you ordered?

#8 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

DC29-00013C

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

01375341.jpg

Looks like you'd want to jumper 3 to 1 and 4 to 2 to bypass the noise filter.  I wouldn't run it this way very long because you may damage the main PCB.  But it's a good confirmation test to make sure the noise filter is the problem.  If the washer runs with the noise filter bypassed, then you know it's the problem.  

#10 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

This is awesome. I'm going to give it a try and will let you know. I am truly amazed that you are willing to offer your help so generously. Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and my full laundry hamper.)

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Glad to do it, that's why we's here!   :dude:

Make sure you're using an insulated jumper, of the same gauge as the power cord conductor.  Alligator clip jumpers work well for this.    

#12 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

In that case, I'll need to go to the hardware store tomorrow. Have alligator clips, but not sure I have the proper gauge jumper. Thank you and have a great evening! At least here, it's beer:thirty.

#13 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Bad news. The noise filter came today. I installed it and..... nothing. So now I've replaced the display board, sub PCB and noise filter and the washer still won't turn on. Should I order the main board now? Very frustrated. Thanks for any help!

#14 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Kinda a shot in the dark, but have you checked the resistance of the heater?
Sometimes when you can't figure out what is wrong, you need to figure out what is right.

Edited by micabay, 11 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Did you try jumpering out the pins on the old noise connector?  If it still didn't start after jumpering them out, then that showed the problem lies elsewhere.

And not to worry:  any parts ordered through this site can be returned for a refund, even electrical parts that have been installed.

Here's the Fast Track manual for your washer:  http://appliantology...hooting-manual/

If you're getting 120vac between CN2, pin 1 and CN10, pin 1, then the noise filter is passing voltage to the main PCB and this would indicate a bad main PCB.  

#16 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thank you Micabay and Samurai.

I didn't try jumpering the noise filter because I was afraid of damaging the PCB if it wasn't already damaged. I guess now I don't need to worry about that. I will give it a try. I'm wondering about the switches or whatever these things are called (photos below). I haven't figured out which are NO and which are NC, but only some of them register Ohms with my multimeter. The heater is one of those that does not. 

Do these have little fuses inside of them? If they are NC, then I would assume they would show continuity when the machine is off. I don't know how to close those that are NO. Pushing buttons does nothing since the machine won't turn on. I know I'm out of my league here, but last time I tried to have a repair man out, it was a disaster. He had no idea what to do, so I figured I have no idea what to do either, but I don't charge $150 to not know.  :biggrin:

I'm looking for someone to come out now, but will keep trying to fix it myself now.

Thank you for your help. I'm going to investigate those "switches" and see if that's where the problem could lie.

0B4ZiHDaofxLnRE1XbVU4RWZjQWM if this doesn't work, you can see the photos here: https://drive.google...QWM&usp=sharing

#17 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

To clarify, Micabay - I have not checked the resistance of the heater itself - just the leads. Looks like I will need to take off the back cover, too.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

. I haven't figured out which are NO and which are NC, but only some of them register Ohms with my multimeter. The heater is one of those that does not. 

Do these have little fuses inside of them? If they are NC, then I would assume they would show continuity when the machine is off. I don't know how to close those that are NO. Pushing buttons does nothing since the machine won't turn on. I know I'm out of my league here, but last time I tried to have a repair man out, it was a disaster. He had no idea what to do, so I figured I have no idea what to do either, but I don't charge $150 to not know.  :biggrin:

I'm looking for someone to come out now, but will keep trying to fix it myself now.

In your photo switch3.jpg, your leads are in a relay.  The relay is a switch that is electrically controlled by the board itself and is not separately replaceable.  IOW, If a relay on the board is bad, you replace the whole board. 

NC means normally closed and so NC contacts should have continuity in their de-energized or unactuated state, aka when they are "at rest."  

See if you're getting 120vac between CN2, pin 1 and CN10, pin 1.  If you are, then this means the main PCB is getting power, but not doing anything with it.  

Also check the door lock switch, Connector CN4 Pin 1 to CN4 Pin 3.  See the 3rd page of the Fast Track I linked you to previously.  

#19 Richelle Fatheree

Richelle Fatheree

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

That makes sense - so the NC ones should show continuity and the NO should not (when the machine is not turned on.)

Checked the door lock switch - have continuity there. I don't have a CN10. Would that be called something else on my machine?

If you meant CN2 pin 1 and RY1(main relay) pin 1, I DO get 120 v.

Edited by Richelle Fatheree, 12 June 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,818 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

That makes sense - so the NC ones should show continuity and the NO should not (when the machine is not turned on.)

Yes.

Checked the door lock switch - have continuity there. I don't have a CN10. Would that be called something else on my machine?

Must be, I'm going by the Fast Track manual and on the diagram it looks like CN10 but it's also the white wire on the power relay.  To help navigate the

board, I've taken your photo and added the main PCB map out from the service manual.  

gallery_4_5_1031324.jpg

The idea is that we're trying to verify whether or not the main PCB is getting power.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics