Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung WF218ANB fails to drain

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 evesdropper

evesdropper

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

First post here. I was unable to find a confirmation of my suspicions in the forum search so here goes...

Samsung model WF218ANB front loader washing machine will not drain. I could hear the pump making noise but nothing would come out of the drain tube.It fills fine but then stops before the spin or rinse cycles with the error "nd".

First I ran the self-test on the drain pump. I could hear it running but it was not pumping the water out. I drained the water manually and then tried the self-test while the debris filter was removed. The impeller blades were certainly spinning.

I then took the top and front off the washer and all the hoses out and flushed them. none were plugged but they were constricted a tiny bit. I removed the debris filter housing and flushed it as well. No blockage there.

After buttoning it all back up, I poured water into the drain hose until it was full and then started the self-test on the drain pump. If I started it siphoning, the pump would finish the drain. However, afterward, it would again not drain the washer.

My thought at this point is I need a new drain pump. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think it is part #DC96-01700A.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 niobrara1

niobrara1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:busch lite

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Agree

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Drain pump is failing under load.  Replace it:  http://www.repaircli...601700A/1863223

#4 evesdropper

evesdropper

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks. Pump assembly ordered.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Let us know how it goes!  

#6 evesdropper

evesdropper

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Will do. I will put up some photos of the process too for the benefit of the board if you like.

Does anyone know the part number or where to get the special filter screens that go in the inlet side of the water valves? Its the blue plastic piece in this part: http://www.repaircli...230312J/2070376

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

You might want to check the plastic elbow on the end of that drain pump hose that is shown in the picture.

Samsung saw it fit to make the entrance of that elbow the perfect size for a quarter to enter then just at the turn they neck it down to just a small enough size the quarter can't go any further down the pipe and makes a perfect flapper valve inside the plastic elbow.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

You might want to check the plastic elbow on the end of that drain pump hose that is shown in the picture.

Samsung saw it fit to make the entrance of that elbow the perfect size for a quarter to enter then just at the turn they neck it down to just a small enough size the quarter can't go any further down the pipe and makes a perfect flapper valve inside the plastic elbow.

The engineer disputes your claim... he said he was told to make sure quarters would pass through the pipe. So after careful measurements, countless testing and thoroughly examining all possibilities ., not a single one of their Korean quarters got stuck.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yes I pulled 2 bit piece out of a Samsung washer  a month ago.  Laughing I told customer this quarter going to cost $200 repair bill.  Charged them $180 & he paid me $225.  :thumbsup:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#10 evesdropper

evesdropper

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

New pump arrived today and was installed in about 15minutes. Works like new again. Thanks everyone.

P.S. I checked that plastic elbow when I thought I may just have a restriction on the drain hoses. It was clear.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Good job, eves! Thanks for posting the outcome!

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

:thumbsup:

Yes I pulled 2 bit piece out of a Samsung washer  a month ago.  Laughing I told customer this quarter going to cost $200 repair bill.  Charged them $180 & he paid me $225.  :thumbsup:

Got a call back on this machine.   Complaint was does not drain or spin.   Serviced call today expecting to replace the pump.   It was another damn quarter.  Asked if they had a quarter slot machine in the house.  They did.    Gave them a reduced price, they still tipped me an extra $25...Something about the number 25...We all could use a few more customers like these...Both are self employed.  :thumbsup:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics