Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dustball clog defrost drain tube

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 howardc64

howardc64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Jenn-Air side by side. Had a puddle of water next to the freezer door, when I opened the panel to the heat exchanger, I had the classic symptom with the drain tube was buried under a sheet of ice.

Melted the ice and eventually cleared the drain tube with weed wacker lines. Fed the line through the drain tube and tied a tight loop on the other end of the drain tube to help clear anything inside. I pulled out a wet dustball mess. Eventually, I took out the drain tube and clean it and the nipple from the drain completely.

My question is... what would cause my drain tube to clog with a dust ball?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,557 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Since you did not follow well posted instructions regarding the posting of the model number in question, I could be wasting my time.. but it's Sunday morning and my Mom told me to always play nice on Sunday mornings.. so here goes;

If the nipple (check valve) is of the duck bill variety, then you may want to check out this thread... particularly Kdog's v-cut modification. http://appliantology...l-refrigerator/

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 NCARepair

NCARepair

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Dust in the air sticks to the evaporator coil,unit defrosta taking with it the water and dust, then it builds up over time in the drain tube trap or valve and plugs up.

#4 howardc64

howardc64

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi: Thanks for the replies and I do apologize for not including the model info on the original post. I should know better as a senior forum member on car repair forums :) The frig is a Jenn-Air JCD2389DES side by side. The defrost drain is pretty easy to get to. I removed the drain tube + black elbow from the back to clear everything. There doesn't appear to be a check valve or filter/trap of any kind in the drain fitting or the drain tube itself. Please correct if my understanding is correct.

A quick history just for full info. I did replace the defrost control board on this frig a few years ago with the newer design as the old one was not defrosting properly. But that repair probably have nothing to do with a clogged defrost drain.

Thanks for NCARepair for the note. It makes sense, I was thinking similarly last night going over how refrigerator works. The fan on top of the evap coil basically circulates air in the whole frig and there are no filters to trap any dust from entering the evap coil chamber and sticking on to the coil and eventually drip down during the defrost cycles and clogged the drain. This frig is nearly 10 years old so I guess this is probably a maintenance item every 5 year or so :)

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

You need to replace the duck bill on the drain tube it has been modified to help correct this problem.

Modified Duck Bill Part# W10309238
http://www.repaircli...0309238/1937679
Service Pointer
https://www.dropbox....frost Drain.pdf
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,557 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've had problems with both designs so I do the V-cut modification as noted in the link above

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics