Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana refridgerator door problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

I have an Amana side by side SXD26VE.  The fridge door doesn't shut by itself, it has to be pushed shut, once shut it seals well.  The freezer door shuts perfectly.  If I open the freezer door the fridge door shuts perfectly.  I have adjusted the level and aligned the doors vertically.  The door seal looks to be in perfect shape.

Any suggestions to make this door shut properly?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,371 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

After working on countless fridges with door closing problems in my refurbished store as well as outside repairs, I usually can get them to close without having to buy new door closers or hinges...
Amanas have been the most problematic of them all but  there are several things you can try before buying new parts....

this is stream of consciousness so not in any particular order...do the easiest ones first 

1) make sure the doors are aligned ....adjust the top hinges so the doors do not touch when closing....you have to find the proper angle

2) Soften the gasket with a steamer or hot water to make it pliable...don't forget to check the very bottom of the fridge

3) try adding a bit of food grade oil/grease on the right hand side of the fridge where the fridge gasket "rides" against it. There have been some discussion about the oil's effect on plastic gaskets....I have never experienced this problem....it may degrade the plastic after many many years.

4) make sure that any light switch that is pressed by the door when closing is at a proper angle to the door and does not stick

5) Adjust the fridge feet or wheels so that there is a slight incline on the fridge to enable gravity to assist in closing. This is proper for older non bottom freezer fridges.

6) Sometimes doors can get bent and many manuals advise slightly bending them back in alignment so that the top and bottom gasket hits the fridge at the same time.

7) adding a washer to the bottom hinge pin can slightly raise the fridge door and make closing easier

8) make sure there are no shelves out of place. Some fridge manual advise that certain door racks not be placed to where it hits food or drawers inside the fridge cabinet

9) The sneakiest one of them all and has caused be much consternation in the past is this:  there is a metal piece attached to the door near the bottom hinge. It is there for cosmetic purposes to hide the hinge.  Sometimes they get bent and causes the door not to close as easily as it should.  You can remove it or bend it out of the way if you find that it hits the bottom of the fridge.  

10) Make sure your gaskets and area where the gaskets seal on the fridge are clean and dirt free.

If none of the above works, you may need to get another door closer for the bottom hinge.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, I will try those ideas.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Number 9 above, the little half moon shape piece that gets bent isn't a cosmetic piece to hide the hinge.

It is a door stop so that the door won't open and smash into the corner of the refrigerator and dent the door but when the door get jammed opened real hard it bends the door stopper inward and then when you try to close the door the bent part of the stopper binds against the hinge making the door pop open anytime the other door is closed or if bent really bad the door won't even close all the way.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 abyars

abyars

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

No. 9 was the issue.  This piece was bent inward and dragging on the hinge just before the door closed.  I bent it outward and the door shut slowly on it's own.  I want to tilt the fridge back some to help the door close better and went too much, the freezer door seal now drags on the fridge door when closing.  Fixed one problem and created another.  I will fine tune it tonight and try to make it better.

So do these doors have a "closer" on the bottom hinge to help them close?

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,371 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

It is a door stop 

Now my pain has a name!  well other than the 4 lettered ones I've given it.

There is a door closure cam kit for your fridge R0181181   

Closing-Cam-R0181181-00606686.jpg

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tips for fixing Amana refrigerator door closing problems

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 10 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Brother Durham offers these sage and comforting words of appliantological wisdom for dealing with door closing and sealing problems in Amana refrigerators. Let us attend:

Source: Amana refridgerator door problem

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics