Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool GU2600XTPS7 Dishwasher door won't stay down

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

The door won't stay all the way down any longer. It stays at about 75% open, but not totally flat. Broken spring or something? I see a spring, part number, 8524473, on the diagrams. Does that hold the door down?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

I think the parts breakdown is missing a part................I thought there was a roller assy................................ Rollers and a cable that connected the door hinge and then to the springs...........................Will the door lay flat if pushed down, such as if the lower rack is pulled out?????........................The door spring helps with the closing of the door, is adjustable to lift with a little help or lifts about 1/2 way if the springs are set to the farthest adjustment.................................. .

#3 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

It doesn't take much force to hold the door down flat, but if you push it down without anything holding it down, it pulls back up to about 75% open. An empty lower rack will keep it down.

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

It doesn't take much force to hold the door down flat, but if you push it down without anything holding it down, it pulls back up to about 75% open. An empty lower rack will keep it down.

All is good.

#5 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Meaning not broken? It just started doing this a couple of months ago. It would always lay flat. The way it is now, you need to hold it down to fill the detergent and rinse aid containers.

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Could be the pivot points of the hinges are wearing and slide easier...

#7 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm. Sounds like I need to pull the kickplate and see what's going on...More info soon.

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Also make sure unit is level (front leveling feet not slipping off tile etc) and that the insulation isn't binding in the spring bushing.  Looks like spring is adjustable at the tub frame.  Brother ctg, I was looking for the links too.

#9 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well, I just checked it out. Both springs are there and not broken. I see no rollers or cables either. Unit is perfectly level, and sitting on hardwood.

This bugs me, as it absolutely used to stay down. Seemed like all of a sudden it stopped. Any ideas?

#10 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

To add, what is part number 8268961 used for? It's called a friction sleeve...

#11 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Wondering if a worn or missing friction pad would make a difference? Never paid much attention to those little buggers:

http://www.repaircli.../8268961/941116

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#12 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

That is the part I was asking about. What does that do, besides create friction? :)  Is the intent to give the door some resistance?

#13 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Well just crawled around on the ground. The left side is completely missing this part, but I can see where it was (rub marks). Probably broke, and got swept up. The right side has it, but it's worn. I would guess these do in fact create some resistance on for the door, to hold it. We'll see. I'll grab two and replace them both.

#14 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Well, that's ironic...just went to start the dishwasher, and when I got the detergent under the sink, I found the broken friction sleeve! Someone must have found it, and just put it there.

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Gremlins.  Probably employed by GE.

#16 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

That is the part I was asking about. What does that do, besides create friction? :)  Is the intent to give the door some resistance?

This would be my guess. They are there for a reason.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#17 steveg_nh

steveg_nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Well, that was it. Pulled the dishwasher out about 5" and it took about 30 seconds a side to install. Immediate difference. Something so simple! Thanks all.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Great!  Thanks for letting us know!   :dude:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics