Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
steveg_nh

Whirlpool GU2600XTPS7 Dishwasher door won't stay down

18 posts in this topic

The door won't stay all the way down any longer. It stays at about 75% open, but not totally flat. Broken spring or something? I see a spring, part number, 8524473, on the diagrams. Does that hold the door down?

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I think the parts breakdown is missing a part................I thought there was a roller assy................................ Rollers and a cable that connected the door hinge and then to the springs...........................Will the door lay flat if pushed down, such as if the lower rack is pulled out?????........................The door spring helps with the closing of the door, is adjustable to lift with a little help or lifts about 1/2 way if the springs are set to the farthest adjustment.................................. .

It doesn't take much force to hold the door down flat, but if you push it down without anything holding it down, it pulls back up to about 75% open. An empty lower rack will keep it down.

It doesn't take much force to hold the door down flat, but if you push it down without anything holding it down, it pulls back up to about 75% open. An empty lower rack will keep it down.

All is good.

Meaning not broken? It just started doing this a couple of months ago. It would always lay flat. The way it is now, you need to hold it down to fill the detergent and rinse aid containers.

Could be the pivot points of the hinges are wearing and slide easier...

Hmmm. Sounds like I need to pull the kickplate and see what's going on...More info soon.

Also make sure unit is level (front leveling feet not slipping off tile etc) and that the insulation isn't binding in the spring bushing.  Looks like spring is adjustable at the tub frame.  Brother ctg, I was looking for the links too.

Well, I just checked it out. Both springs are there and not broken. I see no rollers or cables either. Unit is perfectly level, and sitting on hardwood.

This bugs me, as it absolutely used to stay down. Seemed like all of a sudden it stopped. Any ideas?

To add, what is part number 8268961 used for? It's called a friction sleeve...

That is the part I was asking about. What does that do, besides create friction? :)  Is the intent to give the door some resistance?

Well just crawled around on the ground. The left side is completely missing this part, but I can see where it was (rub marks). Probably broke, and got swept up. The right side has it, but it's worn. I would guess these do in fact create some resistance on for the door, to hold it. We'll see. I'll grab two and replace them both.

Well, that's ironic...just went to start the dishwasher, and when I got the detergent under the sink, I found the broken friction sleeve! Someone must have found it, and just put it there.

Gremlins.  Probably employed by GE.

That is the part I was asking about. What does that do, besides create friction? :)  Is the intent to give the door some resistance?

This would be my guess. They are there for a reason.

Great!  Thanks for letting us know!   :dude: