Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Dishwasher Will not Drain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dwndwn

dwndwn

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have a 14 month old whirlpool dishwasher model number gu3100xtvq that will not drain.  I have check the hose in between the sump and the drain pump and it is clear.  I can look through the 2 inch port on the sump and it is clear.  The impeller in the pump is turning.  I thought that it would not turn under a load, so i replaced the pump and it still did not drain.  I thought there was some thing in the drain hose that i could not see, so i replaced the drain hose and it still did not drain.  I tried putting the drain hose in a bucket at sink level and it still did not drain (it did drain at floor level).  This dishwasher should be draining. Any ideas what i am missing, thanks, dave.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hey Dave - Have you verified 120 volts at the drain pump when it's supposed to be draining?

#3 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

The impeller in the pump is turning.

So it's getting power. Do you have a model number?

Test

#4 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Since you already know it will gravity drain the idea of a blocked/clogged hose is no longer suspect.  

I would still test the voltage at the pump.  It can still turn but not fast enough to pump anything.  You could also hook the pump up on a test cord and check it that way too.

#5 dwndwn

dwndwn

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

I checked the voltage and the pump is getting 120 volts.  The pump sounds like it has air in it.  When i loosen the clamp on the pump the water starts to trick out of the drain hose and sometimes after about a minute it will start to drain faster. 

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

I checked the voltage and the pump is getting 120 volts.  The pump sounds like it has air in it.  When i loosen the clamp on the pump the water starts to trick out of the drain hose and sometimes after about a minute it will start to drain faster. 

Seems like there's something caught in the sump area that intermittently blocking the pump's suction port.  

Also, make sure the filters are not clogged because this can starve the pump.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics