Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

dwndwn

Whirlpool Dishwasher Will not Drain

6 posts in this topic

I have a 14 month old whirlpool dishwasher model number gu3100xtvq that will not drain.  I have check the hose in between the sump and the drain pump and it is clear.  I can look through the 2 inch port on the sump and it is clear.  The impeller in the pump is turning.  I thought that it would not turn under a load, so i replaced the pump and it still did not drain.  I thought there was some thing in the drain hose that i could not see, so i replaced the drain hose and it still did not drain.  I tried putting the drain hose in a bucket at sink level and it still did not drain (it did drain at floor level).  This dishwasher should be draining. Any ideas what i am missing, thanks, dave.  

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hey Dave - Have you verified 120 volts at the drain pump when it's supposed to be draining?

1 person likes this

The impeller in the pump is turning.

So it's getting power. Do you have a model number?

Since you already know it will gravity drain the idea of a blocked/clogged hose is no longer suspect.  

I would still test the voltage at the pump.  It can still turn but not fast enough to pump anything.  You could also hook the pump up on a test cord and check it that way too.

1 person likes this

I checked the voltage and the pump is getting 120 volts.  The pump sounds like it has air in it.  When i loosen the clamp on the pump the water starts to trick out of the drain hose and sometimes after about a minute it will start to drain faster. 

I checked the voltage and the pump is getting 120 volts.  The pump sounds like it has air in it.  When i loosen the clamp on the pump the water starts to trick out of the drain hose and sometimes after about a minute it will start to drain faster. 

Seems like there's something caught in the sump area that intermittently blocking the pump's suction port.  

Also, make sure the filters are not clogged because this can starve the pump.