Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dishwasher Clip Broken - Replace or Duct Tape Repair?

dishwasher dishwasher clip

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hello.  I have a GE PDWT500R30BB.  The clip connecting the venturi hub to the wash arm is broken.  I found a replacement part for about $30 + shipping but I think these clips are super flimsy.  I don't know if it broke by itself or when I was gently trying to clean the dishwasher.  This clip is the same part that came already broken on our previous dishwasher before GE replaced it with this one about 2.5 years ago.  I am wondering:

1.  if you have recommendations for how to clean the dishwasher w/o breaking that clip.

2.  If I should purchase 2 or more of the new wash arms w/ hubs so I have them on hand even though they come w/ a 1 year warranty that I think I get extended for another year w/ my credit card

3.  If it is possible to do a DIY fix w/ duct tape or something of the sort.  I did a quick fix to get the machine working last night but I am wondering if it would be detrimental to the machine long term to keep using tape or something else of that nature.

Thank you so much!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

... The clip connecting the venturi hub to the wash arm is broken.

PART NUMBER ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

WD12X10113

is the replacement part.  Why they don't just sell the venturi hub I have no idea. :)

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hello.  I have a GE PDWT500R30BB.  The clip connecting the venturi hub to the wash arm is broken.  I found a replacement part for about $30 + shipping but I think these clips are super flimsy. 

Are you referring to the extension on the white hub piece that broke off? 

1.  if you have recommendations for how to clean the dishwasher w/o breaking that clip.

What are you doing when you clean the dishwasher?  Maybe consider using a product like Glisten:  http://www.repaircli...4482929/1915432

2.  If I should purchase 2 or more of the new wash arms w/ hubs so I have them on hand even though they come w/ a 1 year warranty that I think I get extended for another year w/ my credit card

Either that or adjust your cleanout technique.  Having a spare on hand is inexpensive peace-of-mind and makes for a rapid repair:  http://www.repaircli...2X10113/1088483

3.  If it is possible to do a DIY fix w/ duct tape or something of the sort.  I did a quick fix to get the machine working last night but I am wondering if it would be detrimental to the machine long term to keep using tape or something else of that nature.

Don't get duct tape anywhere near the inside of a dishwasher unless you want big troubles in a short time.  Best to just replace the tub to pump piece:  http://www.repaircli...2X10113/1088483

#5 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

I saw Glisten. Thanks.   It appears to be simply citric acid.  

I was told by the GE repairmen in years past that you do need to clean out the drain occasionally so I did that.  And I removed the washer arm, etc and there was a ton of gunk under there.  Finally I took out the fine filter and ran a bunch of water through it and finally some "goo" came out of that.

Are you saying that Glisten will take care of needing to do all of that, or at least the removing of the washer arm and the fine filter?  And if so, how often do you recommend doing that?

Just for my information, what kind of troubles would come from the duct tape.  I am going to buy the parts today.  Just wondering.  Thank you.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

If you're getting goo accumulated in the sump, we need to look at the type and amount of detergent you're using and whether or not you're running the heated wash cycles.  

Glisten will address mineral deposits.  Goo formation is usually undissolved detergent caused from using too much (or too old) detergent along with washing at too low a water temperature.  

Dust tape will eventually come off and get jammed up inside the innards of the wash pump and drain pump.  Don't do it. 

#7 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

We use a variety of detergents.  I have used Biokleen, Tropical Traditions, but mostly Finish Power Tabs as I have about given up on natural kinds.

We have water that is 7-8 grains hardness so we just purchased a newer kind of softener but it isn't installed yet.  The "goo" looked like brown grains when I could see then through the top of the filter, but when I flushed the filter w/ water it finally came out as a thick gel-like grayish brown substance.  That appears to be the residue that is typically on a few of our dishes with each load.  We were told that the softener would take care of that.  The same residue (I think it's the same) is in the fine filter, and along the inside hinge where the dishwasher door closes.  

I don't think I use too much detergent - of course when I use a tablet I just use one.  Our water temp appears to be fine.  The dishwasher is quite hot when we open it.  I think we set the hot water heater at 125.

I use the normal setting on my dishwasher.

Thanks for the info about the duct tape.  I will order the parts today and be done with the duct tape quick fix.  Thank you again.

I forgot to mention that it's possible my detergent tabs are too old. How long are they OK to keep?  Thank you.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Finish power tabs is the stuff to use.  They're individually wrapped so they stay dry and fresh a bit longer.  Shelf life depends on temperature.  Check out http://dishwashingexpert.com/ for more tips.  Great site!  

If you have a heat boost option (called various things, "sani-rinse," etc.) you should be using that.  And heated dry, if you have that.  I use all the features on our dishwasher and make it consume as much energy as possible given the miserly Energy Star constraints.  

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

… and remember, no matter what the salesman says,
it’s a dishwasher, not a garbage disposal.
:whistling:

#10 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Gah.  I try not to use the energy using features to save money but if you think I have to I guess I will.

I rinse all my dishes to get large pieces off - typically it's just food film left.

Thanks again!

Hey - I just read on the Finish site that you linked to that they say not to rinse dishes by hand.  Isn't that bad advice?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

No, this is exactly right advice! Pre-washing dishes does two things: 1) wastes water and energy-- far more than running the heated wash cycle on your dishwasher, and 2) creates a caustic slurry inside your dishwasher. The detergent is designed to work with food soils. Without it, it doesn't get properly activated and it makes a caustic slurry that etches your dishes.

You won't notice the difference in your power bill from using the heated wash and dry cycles on your dishwasher but you'll notice a big difference in how well it cleans and the lack of Gookus slime in the sump.

#12 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

OK - well I am going to try this.  One of the GE repairmen told me to rinse the big chunks off - is that not correct?  Doesn't the food get caught in the drain, etc?  If this all works then you for sure win the Helpful Website of the Year award.  

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

... the big chunks off -

into the garbage or garbage disposal

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

One of the GE repairmen told me to rinse the big chunks off - is that not correct?  Doesn't the food get caught in the drain, etc?  

No need to rinse, just scrape-- into the garbage disposal or trash can if you don't have a disposal.  Running water on dishes before you load them is just a waste of water.  Plain n' simple.  

#15 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

OK - will try.  If my super picky GE top of the line dishwasher doesn't get a bunch of junk trapped in it w/ this new technique, then this board is the best thing since--well--the dishwasher.

#16 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

HI there.  I used the Finish tabs (they are a little old) and didn't rinse the plates and used the sanitizing cycle.  More than the usual silverware has stuff on it and the plates seem to have a film.  It's not visible on most of the dishes but it is something I can feel.

The only other thing I can think of is our water is either a 7 or 8 in hardness.  We just bought a softener but it isn't installed yet. Do you have any other ideas for me? Thank you!

#17 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

(they are a little old)

Always use fresh detergent. Also don't mix one type with another.

Either do a vinegar rinse or use a DW cleaner, then use FRESH Finish Quatum tabs.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#18 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have some vinegar in a little cup in the top rack already.  What is odd is the results of this wash are worse than they were before I stopped rinsing the plates and running it on the high temp.  I was using the vinegar and same Finish tabs before.

#19 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Are you using a rinse agent? Just because there is a rinse agent in the detergent doesn't mean that you don't need to put rinse aid in the rinse aid dispenser. I know a lot of detergents advertise that it's not needed if you use their detergent, but a rinse aid in the detergent is not a substitute for a rinse aid in the dispenser.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#20 WholeNewMom

WholeNewMom

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I do not and never have.  But I put a little vinegar in a cup in the top rack. What is really puzzling me is that I did everything recommended here about not rinsing and using the high heat option and now the dishes are worse than before.  Please pass on the suggestions - I am really frustrated :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics