Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Water Line Heater Installation 4 wires vs 6

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vwduff

vwduff

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chill

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'm installing the GE heater kit (WR49X10173) on my fridge to try to solve the freezing water line problem.  All has gone according to the instructions except for the electrical connection.  The instructions say to use the red and black/white wires (#2 & #6).  My problem is my wiring harness only has 4 wires after a splice above just outside the grommet.  The wires are: 1 thin blue & 1 thin black; 2 thicker white.  I've metered the wires and can get 13.7 v DC between the blue and one of the white without the plug connected to the circuit board.  From reading another thread here and about 5 hours searching online, 13/7 v DC seems to be what I would want.  Unfortunately, online advice is confusing and contradictory, one saying I should have AC voltage or use the black * blues wires (which gives negligible voltage).  I don't really feel any heat when I power up using the black and wire wires noted. Does anyone know for certain what wires I should be using or what voltages I should be seeing?

Also, because of the factory splice, I had to install the new red splice connectors lower than desired/specified.  I've tried to finish the install but there doesn't appear to be room for the new splicers.  Any suggestions?  Can I find a smaller splice connector somewhere?

Thanks for you help. This is a very frustrating issue. I found many people reporting the same problem (4 vs 6 wires) but I didn't find a solution.  GE was zero help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

FRIDGE MODEL NUMBER ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 vwduff

vwduff

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

The refrig model no. is GE PS123SGM.

#4 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

if the harness doesnt match the instructions...then the kit was not meant for use on this model. however, if you can attach to the wire with the 13 vdc , it should still function for ya. as far as getting those connectors to fit, that is a pure pita even on the approved models, so...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#5 vwduff

vwduff

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks, BMF.  I'll keep the 13.7 v DC connection I have and either close up as is (with the red kit connectors) or rewire the connections to be smaller. 

FYI, GE Parts sold me the GE heater kit (WR49X10173) after I gave them the model number PS123DGM.  I've seen other non-appliantology posting showing the heater installed in a 4-wire harness refrig, but the wiring change from a 6-wire harness was never noted.  Also, the kit says its for metal liners only, although again many are using on plastic liners and say the heat isn't enough to matter. (I'm not certain what this means since all the refrigs shown seem to have an external plastic liner in the water/ice dispenser slot.)

I'm seeing this 4-wire harness problem many places and no one (especially GE) is addressing it so far.  GE is selling the part and my refrig has the slot for the heater, just not the 6-wire harness.  I suspect the real problem is GE (which should have owned up to the design flaw long ago). GE discounted the part to $30 plus shipping, making it only a little more than the online price.  It does come with a 1 yr GE warranty.  GE should give it away (as some reported) and update the instructions.

#6 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Preaching to the choir...effn GE...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Attached Files

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics