Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

FL drum not moving

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 redboxer

redboxer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinnes Stout

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

Sorry to show my grasshopper statue so publicly. 

I have attempted all the Tech steps.

1. Timer to drain, pump runs

2. belt off, timer to start of wash, knob out - motor does not run

3 And here is where my ignorance starts - check for voltage between 2 and 4 of 4 pin plug:

meter reads 0 checking the pins on the board, and the plug - not sure if flow is from the plug to the board or from the board to the plug.

if meter reads 0, check thermal cut out. I disconnected the wires from the motor. Checking the ohms on the motor between 7 and 8, 0 ohms. since this is less than 1 that seemed good.

4."Remove 9 pin, measure voltage between pin 6 of the 9 pin and pin 4 of the 4 pin. If meter reads 0, check timer contact 11 to 11a."

meter reads 0. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO HERE "CHECK TIMER CONTACT" On voltage out of timer body reads 0 volts. 

Also on plug, voltage is 0.

All the above with machine plugged in, timer at start of wash cycle and knob pulled out.

The next step really has me baffled - It says to check voltage drop between pin 3 of the nine pin and pin 4 of the 4 pin plug. Um there is nothing in position 3 of the nine pin plug. 

Am I using the meter correctly?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 redboxer

redboxer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Not sure if this is appropriate, but feel like writing a note on the back panel of my machine:

Abandon all hope yea who enter here.

#23 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

"And now for something completely different"..........With water attached and "ON"......Go to the strip circuit, right side, top..........."No motor rotation during fill...,,, Water level satisfied, I.E. Full.........,If you get 120 volts at 11 to 11A, there is an open contact in the timer......If you get 0 volts power is passing thru contacts............. Verify by attaching one voltmeter lead to a good ground and use the other lead to touch contacts 11 ( 120 volts) and then touch 11A ( 120 volts)....Speed control is getting 120 volts...............Do the same to contacts 24B  ( 120 v.) and 24 ( 120v.) ..........Pin 3 of 9 pin plug  ( C9.3).............TO.............  pin 4 of 4 plug   (C4.4)............... C9.3 should be a brown wire there... What you are doing there is verifying power out of timer contact 24, C9.3 ( 120 volts) to C4.4,  is the neutral contact........................... ..You are looking for lost power somewhere...You can check for power at timer 7A and/or 7     ( lost power thru door switch or water level switch  )............................ The other sheet shows the timer contact locations...........Only two units in 12 years for a bad timer but most have failed speed boards.......This is more on how to use your meter type testing...................

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 17 June 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#24 redboxer

redboxer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for your continued patience. I will check again tonight-

OK really dumb question, Was I supposed to do the tech tests with the water hooked up also? It seems like the first thing it does is fill with water, then the drum starts to move, so if there was no water there would it send power where it needed? Also, when I check 11  11A and 24/24B in the timer, am I testing the block or the plug, same question on the 4 and 9 pin.

Sorry to be so thick. 

#25 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

We were all grasshoppers at one time..............No dumb questions asked around here ...............No water while doing the test   " Motor Movement"  ( motor will not run ) ..........In the steps that I asked for, you are checking for the path of voltage.................Are you loosing it some where??????..........The tech. sheet is  getting you to do the same thing , but looking  for a " No Spin" operation.................Did you find the missing wire at terminal      " pin three on 9 pin plug" ????............It appears to be connected with the neutral side if the circuit..............The tests I asked for , leave all terminals connected......We are looking for  "If it fills, will it tumble" ???...................You mentioned you are not familiar with your meter......................When we are done , you and your meter will be one.....................Doing simple voltage checks at various places in a circuit, you can verify if the speed control board is getting it's correct voltage and / or a dropped neutral..............Some time you will be using the "Diagnostic strip circuit" to track down a problem...........They are your friends................................A washer does four things.....Fills,  Agitates,   Drains,   Spins....       The water level switch separates the four into two steps.....Fill and Agitate.........Drain and Spin......................Almost all washing machines operate this way..................................P.S.  Thanks Reg.s for correcting me........... :thumbsup:.................  . 

#26 redboxer

redboxer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

As I mentioned at the start, I am heading to Italy for 2 weeks so it will be after the 4th before I can get back to this. An hour in the Laundromat convinced me it is worth my while to spend six hours in the laundryroom. If all the tests were to be completed with the plugs attached, then throw out everything I have said thus far. :wacko:   This public humiliation is tough! :rocketwhore: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics