Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool dryer LER4634EQ2 won't stay running +has a new motor

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:tequila

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Today's findings:

I ran over the meter readings at the receptacle end again just to confirm they were the same as yesterday and they were.  Plugged in, start switch, no start no run.  So I unplugged the dryer and went out to the breaker box.  Checked visually and it hadn't been tripped (no little orange flag in the little window).  Switched it off and the switch threw crisp for it's full range of motion, so I don't think it was tripped.  Well, it definitely wasn't.  Flicked it back on and it felt normal again, so I flicked it back and forth 4 or 5 times just for the hell of it.  Left it on, went inside, plugged in dryer, metered the prongs like in the pictures before, and this time I got the 120-120-240 like you had mentioned before.  Also while I was metering the big plug, I heard the faintest noise coming from the dryer.  I turned over the little dashboard bit where all the controls are mounted and put my ear up against there and could hear the timer clicking.  So I pushed the plug the rest of the way in and hit the switch.  It started right up.  I let it run like a minute with no hickups, and then shut it off.  Tried it on several settings, with no problems.  Then while it was running I molested the plug at the receptacle in every sort of way (as safely as possible) trying to make it do anything wrong.   It never stuttered or shut off like before.  I even tried easing the plug out while it was running and wiggling it around as I went and it ran just like normal until the plug was free of the socket. 

One thing that concerns me is that during this entire episode from the very beginning a couple of weeks ago, the circuit breaker in the breaker box has never tripped one time.  I am now assuming that the breaker is somehow the root of the problem, but I have no experience with anything like that happening before.  Is it possible for a household breaker to have a failure mode other than just on/off?  I know they are supposed to interrupt current in the case of a spike or short, but how could it be letting some voltage through but not the full flow necessary?  I really don't want to go digging into the internals of my breaker box, but I'm guessing I have no choice at this point.  Should I just go get a new 30 amp breaker and try to just remove and replace?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

sometimes one half of a dual Breaker may "trip" without any indication.

It may be OK, now

If it happens again (or often), then it may be time for a new Breaker

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#23 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ok, well I'll give it one more chance to play nice, and if it goes hinky even one more time, I'm replacing it.  Thanks a bunch, you guys are the best!

#24 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Might be a loose connection at the neutral bar from the dryer circuit breaker.  Could heat up with a load applied and momentarily break the circuit without tripping the breaker.

#25 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

Could be the breaker is just getting weak....Run the dryer with a heavy load ( jeans, sweat shirts ).. and the timer set to cottons, timed dry........set for 60 minutes.........check the breaker in about 30 min.............. Place the back of your hand on the breaker,  Warm, getting hot ???

#26 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

Since it is working we've been running it non stop pretty much all afternoon and tonight. I just went out and felt the breaker like you suggested and it is definitely warm. I wouldn't classify it as hot, I can lay the back of my hand on it and its not burning or anything. I'd guess over 100 but less than 120. So when this last load is dry I'll hold off until I can replace the breaker tomorrow.

If the breaker was working correctly would it still generate any heat like that under the same circumstances (continuous use for several hours), or should it always be cool?

#27 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Slightly warm under load.  Sounds like the breaker is ok.

#28 scconsulting

scconsulting

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ok, I picked one up at the store today anyway, so I have it on hand if it acts up again.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics