Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rxmixer

rxmixer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:05 AM

Greetings O Wise Masters,:notworthy:
Oh I of humble talents have a question: We gots a problem with an Amana
dishwasher Model DWA53AB.   Water inflows into machine OK, heater works OK, water
does not go to either spray arm NOR does water get pumped out of tub.  Motor
hums along just fine, but no waterworks:(.  Pulled out unit and inspected the
impeller (only one impeller here.)  Impeller shaft was loose on spindle and has a
couple of hairline cracks on the lengthwise direction of the shaft;  also
looks like it is just a pressure fit.  I can hold impeller with a finger and
turn the motor shaft with very little effort.I would have expected a tighter
fit.  I called a local appliance parts place in the area which I have dealt
with in the past (AP Wagner) and he thought the impeller "shold" be loose, I think not:?.  He did not have one in either of the two local warehouses so I could at least have a shot at it.  Reassembled - no joy! :grr:  Any suggestions from the wise ones?

Thanks, Terry

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

Ahh, the infamous Friggidaire-built dishwasher for Amana.  The motor shaft should rotate freely but not be wobbly and the impeller should be firmly afixed to the shaft. 

Sounds like you need a new motor assembly.

Attached Files

#3 rxmixer

rxmixer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Exalted Grand Master,

The motor pump shaft does indeed spin freely  - the impeller is just loose on the shaft, not wobbly, just not a tight fit.  Still need a new motor assembly??? (Over $250 :yikes:- might as well toss in a few more $ and get a new machine.)

Also, this exploded diagram shows a drain "pump".  Is that really a pump or just a valve,:? or have I just reached nirvana and had both uinits give out on me at the same time, seeing as how I have no water reaching the spray arms AND I have no water being pumped out at any time during any cycle.

Your wise and sage pearls of wisdom are eagerly awaited.:notworthy:

Terry

ps If I have to go with a new unit, I read in one of the posts that Whirlpool is heads above Fridgidaire and GE.  Any other decently engineered manufacturers out there without spending a fortune - don't need lots of bells and whistles here - just a basic dishwasher (also what other lines are in with Whirlpool - just being lazy here> I know I could look it up) Thanks a heap!!

#4 PK

PK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

I would lean toward Whirlpool, Roper, and KitchenAid.  Whirlpool all lines, Roper the economy line, just not all the fancy stuff, and KitchenAid the top line.  I would not buy any product that was not Whirlpool.  You would be wise to take your $250.00 and buy a new dishwasher and get away from that Frigidaire.  Pegi
"Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma Since 1978"

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:20 AM

Yep, new motor time.  This dishwasher has a separate drain pump, too. 

Replacement dishwasher's are tough because there are no good ones being made today.  The best you can do is go for one that's easy to work on because you will be doing that alot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics