Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RFG297 AABP fridge act like a freezer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lastsamuel

lastsamuel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Addams

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Display shows set temp (46 degrees) dose not switch to current temp (22 degrees) Main board replaced, 2 temp sensors replaced, defrost ciol and it's sensor replaced. Samsung service tech is lost.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

First step.. did you run diagnostics? This is always step one when working on Samsung fridges. Samsung fridges will clear certain diagnostic code for 4-6 hours after unit is unplugged. If you don't use diagnostics prior to unplugging, you have to wait 4-6 hours for any codes to reappear.

did you replace all temp sensors including ambient sensor?

Make sure you don't have a stuck power cool button.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Should be able to engage a self diagnostic mode by simultaneously pressing Power Freeze and Power Cool buttons.  Take note of any blinking led segments particularly on the refrigerator temperature display.

#4 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Energy Saver - Lighing for 8 to 12 seconds for diagnostic (no Power freeze Power cool on this one). I always run Diagnostics on any electronic unit prior to and after performing any repairs.

Here's the Fast Track Manual which is all you should need for the proper diagnostics. Please post your results of all of the proper tests.

http://appliantology...l-2nd-revision/

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#5 lastsamuel

lastsamuel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

hello, the diag had us replace the compartment temp sensor lower center of fridge. and that's when we started to get cool air before we could not get below 70 degrees f then we we're told by samsung to reverse the stepper valve. Now we have got 22 degrees, no current temp display just set temp. no codes 88. 88 is all I get. the main board, 2 temp sensors the defrost coil have all been replaced.

#6 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

I think you may have misunderstood the tech line. If you had no cool in the fresh food section but did in the freezer you could reverse the stepping valve (hot gas solenoid stepping motor switching valve) and you would see the ff section start to cool and the freezer warm up. But, you're really throwing the control for a loop, trying to cool one section and can't. I have seen many techs misdiagnose these units that with two sealed systems that share the same refrigerant and compressor. The little valves are tricky sometimes. You shouldn't need to do a sealed system repair just the electrical part on top if its changeable by itself.
"Suds are not good"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#7 lastsamuel

lastsamuel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Why would the hot gas solenoid stepping motor switching valve have any effect on the display of set and current temp?

#8 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I wouldn't put too much thought into the display showing the set temp versus the actual temp. The unit may only show the set temp and not the actual. That's always better that way the customer doesn't get worried about the temperature swings that occur with the air temperature.
"Suds are not good"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics