Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Steam Washer won't advance to spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 endopotential

endopotential

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:beer

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

I've got a 4 year old WFW9500TW01.  It fills and agitates just fine, and goes through the timer down to zero, but doesn't seem to spin during the automatic wash modes.  So I just get a pile of very damp clothes at the end of the cycle.

I can get the washer to spin, if I put it in the Drain/Spin or Rinse/Spin mode once the wash cycle is completed.  This makes me think the spin motor, direct drive or belt are OK?

Reading through previous posts here: I did check the drain and hose - not plugged.  The drain motor does spin when I supply voltage to it.  When I put it in diagnostic mode (the one where you put it in spin mode, press Rinse/Hold four times) it goes through all the cycles without a glitch, no error codes.  Funny thing is, I can't get it to give me an error history (the one where you have machine off, then push any button 5 times) - the screen just stays blank.

Does this mean I have to get a new Motor Control Unit?  I'm by no means an appliance repair person, but this is as far as I've been able to troubleshoot it.

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

I can't get it to give me an error history (the one where you have machine off, then push any button 5 times) - the screen just stays blank.

Do all the console LEDs light up for 5 seconds immediately after the last key press?  

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

I can get the washer to spin, if I put it in the Drain/Spin or Rinse/Spin mode once the wash cycle is completed.  This makes me think the spin motor, direct drive or belt are OK?

Yes, if the drum will spin in some other cycle or in diagnostic mode, then the drive components are okay and I'd be looking for problems with the CCU, wiring harness, or door latch assembly.  

Will the drum spin consistently every time you manually go to Drain/Spin or Rinse/Spin?

#4 endopotential

endopotential

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Hi Sensei,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

When I try to get the error history, the LED screen stays dark and blank.  But the screen looks OK when it's powered on and going through a wash cycle, so I know the LED screen itself isn't dead.

When I put it into the Drain/Spin or Rinse/Spin cycle manually, the tub does indeed spin OK.

Does this help narrow it down to the MCU or some other control panel?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

The fact that the motor runs and the drum turns means all the drive components are okay:  belt, motor, and MCU.  Sounds like you have a bad CCU:  Part number: AP4343491

Part number: AP4343491

#6 endopotential

endopotential

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

Even if I can't get it to show a F11 error code or anything else like that?

Anything else I can do to confirm that it's a CCU that I need?  It's a pricey piece at least $240.  And your shop has run out of them?  

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics