Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool A/C - compressor cuts out, smells

washingmachinecharley

washingmachinecharley

Whirlpool thru-wall A/C, 10000-12000 BTU range.

220v unit running in a small condo unit.

Set up to cool living room and kitchen, not sure of sq footage but these rooms are small.

The unit initially cools but compressor cuts out within 15 minutes and usually doesnt come back.

Makes a smell described as "musty".

I measured 206v at the outlet, changes less than 1/2 volt with load (compressor on/off).

I assume this means that the condo building is supplied with 3-phase power.

Unit draws ~3.25A with compressor on.

It didnt cut out while I was there, maybe a hot day makes a difference.

This unit has been replaced twice, so cant be manufacturing defect.

There are no obstructions on the exhaust as far as I can tell.

It is on the sunny south-facing side of the condo but I cant imagine that makes a difference.

My hunch is that these units cant tolerate 208v power supplied by 3-phase service, and the compressor is overheating.

So easiest solution is to install a 110v unit, rewiring the outlet?

Any ideas appreciated.

TIA,

Charley

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• washingmachinecharley

• RegUS_PatOff

• Bobice

Top Posters In This Topic

220 Volt Single Phase A/C cannot run @ less then 10% of rated voltage so 206 Volts Single Phase in the ball park.

220 single phase = 2 hot wires 1 ground   220 three phase = 3 hot wires 1 ground. Residential does not use 3 phase

Whirlpool does not make three phase A/C's.

Check with a voltage monitor.

washingmachinecharley

Dont have the model number handy, may have to slide the chassis partly out to get it.

I realize this is not a 3-phase unit, and the power delivered to the (220v/20a) outlet is not 3-phase.

But if on a 3-phase 120/208v system 2 phases are used as the hot wires then the voltage will be 208v single-phase.

Which may be what was done in this building - it was built in the 70's, is a low-end building originally build as apts so possibly the only requirement for 220v back then was for the electric heat which would tolerate a lower voltage. (A/C is on the same circuit as the heat, there was no more breaker box space left so maybe the circuit was added later).

thanks for replies...