Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
BeamerJill

Maytag gas dryer DG808 will not spin

15 posts in this topic

This dryer has been exceptionally reliable over the years. I have only had it repaired once before. Would it make sense to repair the drum or is it time to replace it? Do you know how old it is? I have the manuel but cannot find a date.

Thank you.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If it only needs a belt, I would fix it.

Prolly at least 30 years old ...belt intact?

I haven't called a repair company as yet as I am somewhat concerned that they won't carry the parts for a dryer this old. I do not know whether the belt is intact.

Thank you.

A complete model number would help. Age? Serial number?

You have no idea why it's not tumbling, I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it yet.

It's most likely a very simple repair. We just need a little help from you to find out.

Even if you repair guy doesn't have the parts in his truck, he can still order them. Most of the parts that would cause that problem are still available.

Haha Spanner...that IS the complete model number...yes it is that old. Lol

Maytag DG808 gas dryer Serial Number 599967. Yesterday the dryer while spinning sounded like a shoe was thumping around inside. After checking various sites I checked that the dryer was level - it was a bit off so I shimmed it up. Thumping continued but otherwise the dryer worked fine. This morning the drum would not spin at all.

Sorry, I forgot the age question. I do believe the dryer is 30 years old like the earlier poster said. I just have not been able to find a date on the machine or on the manual.

Thank you.

... sounded like a shoe was thumping around inside.

... This morning the drum would not spin at all.

Belt may be falling / fell apart

This dryer was one of Maytag's top of the line models from the early 1980's.  The thumping noise was most likely caused by the drive belt fraying before breaking all together.  The replacement belt for this model should be common truck stock for any servicer.  If not it is readily available.  Other parts may be a different story.  If motor runs and drum doesn't turn it's the belt.  Definitely worth the repair.

Did I say 1980's?  1970's more like.  Still worth the fix.  Uncle Jesse would be proud.

Edited by PDuff

One of the best dryers made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I wanted to let you all know that based on your comments I went ahead and had the dryer repaired. I spoke to the fellow before he came out so he came prepared with a new belt. That was exactly what was needed. The existing belt was nearly shredded. He agreed that it is a very good dryer and well worth repairing. Thanks again.

BeamerJill