Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

G.E Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Red Wine

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Can you use a WR60x10185 as a replacement for a WR60x10196?  Big difference in price.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

You may be able to use the WR60X10185 as a replacement for the WR60X10196 but not vice versa (not that you'd want to).  BUT they use different propellers-- different shaft diameters.  Also not sure about air flow direction.  

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

may be OK,

OR may run in reverse direction

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Have we come up with a definitive answer on this question?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

I would like to no to.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Ok.... on my fridge model that uses the 10196 (expensive as hell) motor , the air direction is the same as fridge models that uses the other motor....ie air is blowing up......however, the fan blades appear to be turned different , which leads me to conclude the motor direction is reversed.

blade for the 10196  :

01010976_zps0ff5440c.jpg

blade for the cheaper 10185 

PD_0046_363_WR60X10208_zps59d35569.jpg

so the question is, can you use the cheaper motor and the fan blade that goes with it...is it too big for the shroud? 

#7 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

http://forum.applian...eplacement.html

Found this old post.It seems to me that blades you posted turn different direction .10196 turns clockwise and 10185 turns counter clockwise in my book.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

yeah,. since the blades turn differently then the rotation must be different as well in order to achieve the same air direction. So, still the question is whether you can use the less expensive fan with the blade designed for it in a fridge that has the other fan? You would achieve the same air direction but the blade might not fit in the housing. If it fits, then you could use the cheaper fan so long as you switch blades as well.

btw the more wings on the blade, the quieter it is... so swapping the motor and fan would also yield a nosier fridge

#9 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

The problem is this is wishful thinking that you can use the cheaper fan motor to do the job.And it would be nice.No where on the internet that i can find the answer to that.The motor cost me about $135 dollars and installing the original is a bitch in the first place.I think we have to bite the bullet and install the correct G.E piece of shit.But if you experiment with the beast let us know. :whistling:

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

The motor cost me about $135 dollars 

That's a good price for that outrageously-priced motor!  Marcone wants to spank me with $150 for that one.  Where do you buy your parts?

#11 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

1 source servall parts.

#12 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Marcone wants $176 for me.I hate Marcone.I was a old AP WAGNER customer for years and after they bought them out meaning Marcone prices went up.I am a one man operation and i know the more you buy the better price they give you.1 St Source Sevall is more like AP Wagner and always had a account with Marcone and AP Wagner but Everytime that i would look up part prices AP Wagner was always cheaper. 1 St source is in saddle brook N.J or Albany New York which is only one day fed x to me.Funny thing is they never charge me for shipping even on orders like $50 or so.And this has been going on for as long as Ap wagner got bought out buy Marcone.I talk to the guy from 1 St source and he was a Apwagner Rep.working for first source and he hook me up somehow and no shipping at all.I know he hated Marcone maybe thats why.But never burn all your parts suppliers because marcone as parts 1ST source don't have sometimes.

#13 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

$245.75 + 12.95 next day from the GE (consumer) Appliance site. I've got a commercial customernet account and it's still $138 from them.

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

guys, is it an optical illusion or are the wings, even though the "pointy" part is different, actually turned (cupped) in the same direction?

#15 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

Yes, it looks to me from the pictures that both fan blades move air in the same direction. If you turn the fan blades over, they will still move air in the same direction but the leading edge of the fan blade will be switched. Usually the pointy edge of each blade is the leading edge. I would try one of these:

http://www.repaircli...60X10074/914169

AND order the expensive one. If the ...074 is wrong, keep it around for stock; it's a versitile motor that works on many GE models. If you don' need the thermistor, clip it off.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

V8,good point about the leading edge so now it makes sense... though the wings are angled in the same direction, the cheaper one's wings look cupped at the bottom and the more expensive one's fan blades look cupped at the top. So the motors must be reversed. But your point in testing it when you have the opportunity is a great one.

yeah I know I'm going back and forth on this issue but age has its privileges (some call it "moments")

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

I was a old AP WAGNER customer for years 

Same here.  I always bought my parts from the AP Wagner facility in Albany, NY.  I still buy my parts from that facility but it's Marcone now.  I get them the next day with regular ground shipping.  At least the shipping is free if the order is over $50.

Set up a Servall account and their prices were even higher.  No free shipping and the parts took longer to get here.  Go figure.  

#18 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Yeah all these parts places set up there prices differently.Go Figure, is good way to put it.I think if your sales rep.likes you your in .60 years old and slowing down with a bad back and cannot do what i use to.Wife is a retired school teacher in New Jersey and live with my legally blind father in law.Had to rent are house out 5 years ago and move out in the country 30 miles from my customer base that i started 35 years ago.Driving that distance is getting old and a back killer for me.Old guy as we call him is 88 years old and in good shape except for his eyes.Was in the Navy in world war two on a destroyer.Loves to work out at the gym with a personal trainer and even known to have a glass of wine or beer here and there.Build a house 15 years ago on  3 acres of land in northern N.J.Nice out here got hay fields,deer. bear and all kinds of wild life.Work for western electric 38 years.Been retired about 30 years and getting pension from them.Nice guy and great father to all his kids.Sorry for making this a somewhat of a life story.

#19 bigbuck

bigbuck

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Have account with these guys to but prices are out of site.http://www.tribles.c...dit-application

On that motor direction .Someone thats stocks it or has to buy one can use Samurai battery test to find out the direction.

Edited by bigbuck, 31 October 2013 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics