Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Intermittent water dispenser leaking... drip drip... nothing... drip

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SonofaWhatthe

SonofaWhatthe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

We have a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side fridge (model GD5SHGXKQ01) and the water dispenser will drip slowly.. drip fast... and then stop.. and sometimes stop for long periods of time (months)... then it will start again. I've been told " you've got air in the line.. run a couple of gallons of water through..."  (wasting water and filter cycles!). Sometimes this seems to work but recently we are creating the waste without creating the dryness!

We have high water pressure in our neighborhood if that matters. We also are cursed with great plains hard water. 

I will replace the inlet valve as a next step I guess but I'm really going to hate spending the time and money (that little valve REALLY costs $80??) if I'm just going to go back to putting a pan under the fridge to capture the drip. But one of these days it's going to leak and we're not going to catch it and then I'll be repairing a basement ceiling and the "Christmas Story" type cursing will hit new records.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Are you using any external water filter or a Reverse Osmosis system for the Fridge ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 SonofaWhatthe

SonofaWhatthe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Are you using any external water filter or a Reverse Osmosis system for the Fridge ?

I'm using an OEM filter (replaced once since we bought the house) that's internal. The leaking occurred before we replaced (occasionally) and after we replaced (occasionally).

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

then it would be a bad Water Inlet Valve ..

may have some sediment / rust collected in it.

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1938614

Water-Inlet-Valve-W10408179-01289315.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

If it's always a steady drip I agree to replace the valve. But, if it's just and occasional drip it is caused by air in the water supply, which is very common. You can install a John Guest fitting with a check in it. You would install it in-line just before the waterline enters the door. I don't remember the part numbers for the Whirlpools, but these are what you may need.

http://www.johnguest...--Imperial.aspx

Also if your fridge has a water reservoir that is a tank they are more prone to air build-up, you can replace it with the coiled up plastic tubing style reservoir.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

Here's the Whirlpool part number for a John Guest check valve, (I believe it is 1/4" tubing but not totally sure of that).

2314271 Check Valve

Part number: 2314271

Part number: 2314271

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

http://appliantology...guest-fittings/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 SonofaWhatthe

SonofaWhatthe

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

So I'm vascilating on which fix mentioned is the first one to try. The drip is very steady ... when it's leaking! We had it dripping steadily on July 4th after filling water bottles for our road trip. It was so constant that I didn't feel I could leave a reservoir on the floor as I was afraid it would overflow while we were away. I turned off the supply valve, placed a resevoir on the floor and left. When we returned 12 hours later the resevoir was full and over flowing!  I emptied it and cleaned up the floor. I put a water glass under the dispenser and drained the rest of the line. (There wasn't much left).

That night it was of course fine. I turned on the supply valve the next morning and pulled some glasses of water. Ice maker resumed operations. And since then, of course, no dripping or leaking. It's all fixed! Until.... the next time it starts leaking.. which may be later today.. or next week.. or next month...

So... is the John Guest valve cheaper and therefore the right first try?

And BTW- I appreciated everyone replying with ideas. Thank you for taking the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics