Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SonofaWhatthe

Intermittent water dispenser leaking... drip drip... nothing... drip

8 posts in this topic

We have a Whirlpool Gold side-by-side fridge (model GD5SHGXKQ01) and the water dispenser will drip slowly.. drip fast... and then stop.. and sometimes stop for long periods of time (months)... then it will start again. I've been told " you've got air in the line.. run a couple of gallons of water through..."  (wasting water and filter cycles!). Sometimes this seems to work but recently we are creating the waste without creating the dryness!

We have high water pressure in our neighborhood if that matters. We also are cursed with great plains hard water. 

I will replace the inlet valve as a next step I guess but I'm really going to hate spending the time and money (that little valve REALLY costs $80??) if I'm just going to go back to putting a pan under the fridge to capture the drip. But one of these days it's going to leak and we're not going to catch it and then I'll be repairing a basement ceiling and the "Christmas Story" type cursing will hit new records.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Are you using any external water filter or a Reverse Osmosis system for the Fridge ?

Are you using any external water filter or a Reverse Osmosis system for the Fridge ?

I'm using an OEM filter (replaced once since we bought the house) that's internal. The leaking occurred before we replaced (occasionally) and after we replaced (occasionally).

If it's always a steady drip I agree to replace the valve. But, if it's just and occasional drip it is caused by air in the water supply, which is very common. You can install a John Guest fitting with a check in it. You would install it in-line just before the waterline enters the door. I don't remember the part numbers for the Whirlpools, but these are what you may need.

http://www.johnguest.com/Home/applications/beverages-and-drinks-dispense/Valves/Check-Valves---Service-Valves/SINGLE-CHECK-VALVE---Imperial.aspx

Also if your fridge has a water reservoir that is a tank they are more prone to air build-up, you can replace it with the coiled up plastic tubing style reservoir.

Here's the Whirlpool part number for a John Guest check valve, (I believe it is 1/4" tubing but not totally sure of that).

2314271 Check Valve

Part number: 2314271

Part number: 2314271

So I'm vascilating on which fix mentioned is the first one to try. The drip is very steady ... when it's leaking! We had it dripping steadily on July 4th after filling water bottles for our road trip. It was so constant that I didn't feel I could leave a reservoir on the floor as I was afraid it would overflow while we were away. I turned off the supply valve, placed a resevoir on the floor and left. When we returned 12 hours later the resevoir was full and over flowing!  I emptied it and cleaned up the floor. I put a water glass under the dispenser and drained the rest of the line. (There wasn't much left).

That night it was of course fine. I turned on the supply valve the next morning and pulled some glasses of water. Ice maker resumed operations. And since then, of course, no dripping or leaking. It's all fixed! Until.... the next time it starts leaking.. which may be later today.. or next week.. or next month...

So... is the John Guest valve cheaper and therefore the right first try?

And BTW- I appreciated everyone replying with ideas. Thank you for taking the time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0