Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

"Frigidaire" rv refrigerator suddenly stopped cooling, light comes on though

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything as specific as I would have liked to so figured I'd start a topic of my own.

Anyway, I have a "Frigidaire" refrigerator in my camper, Model #: FRT05LG3DB2 (or just FRT05LG3DB).

The day before yesterday it was working as normal.  Yesterday I opened the fridge and it was a little warm but the light came on and I just thought it may not have started it's compressor cycle yet so I didn't think much of it at the time.  Later that night I opened the fridge again and it was very warm inside.  I then opened the freezer and it was very warm as well, and the fan in the back was not running.  In fact, most my food was beginning to defrost.  It is now the day after and it still hasn't started to cool.  It has power coming to it, as the light comes on and the outlet is fine, it just sits idle and does not "start up" and cool anything or turn the fan.  It just happened "all of a sudden" and I was not prepared for this.  So,...

I have...

1) Checked my circuit breaker and fuses.  Everything looked fine but I popped the breakers off and on anyway with no results.  The fuses are solid and clean so that's not it -- especially since everything else in my camper is working fine.

2) Made sure my camper was level, which it is.

3) Unplugged it and let it set for a few hours and plugged it back in.  Same result:  lights come on inside but no fan or compressor starting up.

4) Plugged it into a different power source (bath house at campground) and it still will not start cooling even after hours.

I think...

1) Since I am currently running off an extension cord with an adapter, I figured my power voltage may vary slightly.  I am getting a permanent and properly rated outlet for my camper installed sometime next week or two if it ever stops raining.  I later read in a short pamplette about my refrigerator that it is not recommended to use an extension cord as it may vary up to 10% and damage the compressor.   I HOPE this is not what has happened.

2) Perhaps it's just the start relay?  Aren't there 2 of them -- a start relay and an overload relay?  How can I find which is which and check them?  I do not have meters or electrical equipment so was hoping for an upfront approach at how to tell if they're good or not.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  I am having trouble finding specific parts for my refrigerator online...  there seem to be a hundred different starting and overlay relays for "Frigidaire" refrigerators.  Compressors are even more difficult to find and will probably need a certified technician to replace it if that is indeed the problem...  So, I am hoping it will be a relay or something and I can just order it online (somewhere -- for my model if I can ever find it) and do it myself as I do not have a lot of money to spend on this at the moment but need to fix it soon so I don't blow money on bags of ice and a cooler for weeks on end when I could have changed the part out.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to using the forums more.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Make sure the thermostat (cold control) is turned on. I've been out to many service calls with that same complaint and it was just turned off. I didn't see in your post if you checked that!
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

if the cold control is on but compressor isn't running, you may want to disconnect and bypass the contol and jump the wires connected to it. If it runs, then replace the cold control. I didn't find much info on this but does it have automatic defrost?

I'm not sure you want to replace a compressor in a 5 cu ft fridge

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

The fridge is pretty minimal as far as controls and access.  Not sure where I can find the thermostat -- "cold control"?

Inside the fridge compartment is a temperature control adjustment and light bulb.  In the freezer is a fan, fins, and temperature control adjustment.  I do not see an "on/off" switch of the like, just temp adjustments.  On the backside of the fridge is the compressor with the relay connections on the side of it (which are enclosed in a small black box you need to remove to access them).  There is also a plug and that is all.  The entire back of the fridge is enclosed in a large black plate up to the top.  I do not see any switches or adjustment dials on the rear.

The refrigerator was working fine for a couple months now.  I don't see how I could have somehow switched something off, unless it can switch itself off under certain circumstances?

I think it's automatic defrost..  not sure how I can tell.  Everything "just worked" and as I said I don't see any special dials or anything inside or outside for such things.

Why shouldn't I replace the compressor in a 5 cu ft fridge? Expensive or not worth it?  I'm hoping it's not that, regardless..

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

If it's an RV fridge, are you sure is has a compressor ?  Does it also operate on propane if you switch it when you're camping ?

Alot of those use a hydrogen charged system and plugging them in merely energizes a calrod heater to cause a reaction in the gas.  Oddly enough, these systems can become "stagnant" and require only to be removed, shaken and turned upside down overnight to reactivate the combined gasses.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think it has a compressor.  It looks the same as the mini-fridge my relative has (which I'm using now), and the relays on the side look the same as some I've seen online.

The refrigerator does not use propane, just an outlet (115V or 120V, I believe).

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

R0510267-00001.png

15 5304446991  Bulb/Lamp
18 5304446995  Knob-control
63 5304446992  Foot-cabinet, long
63 5304446993  Foot-cabinet, short
74 5304446994  Shade-Lamp

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

So, everything else is non-servicable?

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

maybe if you can get the part numbers off of whatever part you need

#10 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

There are 2 relay type connections on the side of what I believe is the compressor.  There is a smaller one on top (connects into 1 pin) and a slightly larger one on the bottom (connects into 2 pins).

The one on top (single pin connection) says:

Klixon, 4TM, 314MFBYY - 53 ABZ4k

The one on bottom (two pin connection) says:

muRata, 5 6, 6R8MD3, 1652

The compressor looking unit says:

Panasonic, R134a

Thermally Protected 115V 60Hz

7.4 LRA 1PH 100V 50Hz

DC51C72RBU65411GE

Not sure what numbers mean what but at least there are some brand names on there!  Klixon and muRata.  They are both small compared to most of the ones I've seen online so maybe they're "discrete" or just of a smaller capacity or something.

#11 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

If the Fan isn't running, it's most likely a bad Cold Control, as mentioned earlier

OR the Defrost Timer

#12 vfeast

vfeast

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

OK, I will try and find their locations on my refrigerator.  Thanks

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

How old is the refrigerator?  With Frigidaire window air conditioners that are less than a year old and still under warranty (with non-serviceable parts) customers are advised to return the units to the dealer for an exchange.  I expect the same would apply to this refrigerator if still under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics