Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

justyn

Display dead? Kenmore Elite Top-Load Washer

19 posts in this topic

Hello -

I'm having problems with my Kenmore Elite top-load washer.  I can't find the model number but it says Part number 8283430 on the back.  I'd say it's around 10 years old.

The washer seemed to be "dead" - no display, none of the buttons worked.   I reset the breaker and tried it again and got nothing but, for some reason, it worked the next day.

A few days later - same problem - only now resetting the breaker doesn't fix it.  I've checked the outlet and it's fine.  I've tried pulgging the washer into another outlet - no dice.  Is the control board shot?  Can I simply buy a new one and replace it myself?

Thanks.

Justyn

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

need model number

You checked the outlet, how do you know it is fine?

How do I find the model number?  As I said - there is only the part number mentioned above.

I plugged other things into the outlet and I plugged the washing machine into a different outlet.

Should be a tag somewhere with model number and serial number. Usually under the lid possibly on the tub rim. Also check the back panel.

Eric

Ok - thanks.  Got it.  The model is

Kenmore Elite Calypso Model 110.22062102

Open the control panel and check for 120vac on connector P16 on the machine control board pins 2 and 4 (white and black). If good, unplug washer, unplug and plug back in ribbon connectors from touchscreen LED assembly at P11 and P12. Try washer again.

Eric

try it again, works for me

Open the control panel and check for 120vac on connector P16 on the machine control board pins 2 and 4 (white and black).

That worked. 120V

If good, unplug washer, unplug and plug back in ribbon connectors from touchscreen LED assembly at P11 and P12. Try washer again.

Tried this. Display still dead. No LEDs.

I also measured the DC voltage between P11-4 on the control board and the following pins on the ribbon. All were between 0.9V and 1V

P11-10

P11-11

P11-12

P11-13

P11-14

P12-2

P12-3

try it again, works for me

Tried again - it works in IE but not Firefox.  Thanks.

Tried again - it works in IE but not Firefox..

works for me

FireFox 18.0.1

Ok - the instructions are unclear to me.  In the doc, the troubleshooting guide on Page 9 indicates I should conduct Test #1 on Page 11 and Test #4 on Page 13.  I've walked through both tests.

Test #1 indicates that I should replace the machine control board.

Test #4 indicates I should replace the console panel/touchpad assembly. 

Do I need to replace both components?  Isn't it possible one is broken but not the other?

Thanks.

Much more likely to be a bad touchpad/console, these membrane style touchpads are much more common to fail in any brand or type of appliance.

Thank you.  I've ordered the new touchpad.  Is there a tech sheet that provides steps for replacement?  Any advice?

Just spent an hour replacing the touchpad and the display is still blank. Still getting 120v per earlier tests. Did I just waste $200?

Did I just waste $200?

No, just the shipping costs.  Any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned for any reason for up to one year, including electrical parts that were already installed.  If you ordered the part through this site, you're covered.