Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

paul12345

jgr8855ads

16 posts in this topic

My Jenn-air gas oven model JGR8855ADS put out code F3. I removed the oven sensor and it oms out around 1000. Next, I snipped the oven line sensor connectors in case the fault is in the connectors. I plan to replace the connector with ceramic wire nuts. I hooked up a temporary 1000 ohm resistor to double check the sensor.

If I understand correctly, with the temporary sensor in place, the oven should heat continuously without turning off. But the oven does not come on at all. Does this situation indicate a faulty board or should I search for something else before I spend $$ on a board.

Thanks

Paul 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I removed the oven sensor and it oms out around 1000.

.... I hooked up a temporary 1000 ohm resistor to double check the sensor.

... But the oven does not come on at all.

1) may be "open" or "shorted" at certain temperatures ..

2) should work

3) may be anything wrong ... check OHMs and voltages at the Ignitors, etc

recently used Self-Clean ? :nono:

M0508212-00007.png

Thanks for your help. The schematic is a little over my head. We have not used the self clean function recently.

A few times while testing with the sensor connected, I smelled gas. Could it be that the ignitor is bad? Are there conditions where a bad ignitor would throw an F3? Could a board failure short out the ignitor or vice a versa? 

... A few times while testing with the sensor connected, I smelled gas. Could it be that the ignitor is bad?

... Are there conditions where a bad ignitor would throw an F3?

... Could a board failure short out the ignitor or vice a versa? 

1) yes, but did you try BROIL ?

2) I don't think so

3) Controller can't short out the Ignitor,

BUT if the wiring on the Ignitor were to short to chassis / ground while the Range had power,

it could ruin the Controller and or the Gas Valve

Thanks again. I will try the broiler. Sounds like I need to bite the bullet and replace the board. 

This the fourth board for this oven. I do not know how old the oven is. The board was last replaced about 7 years ago. Is this normal for this oven or should I diagnose a cause.

And use a plug-in surge suppressor to protect the board from future failures.  

Thanks. I will use a surge protector. The parts link you gave me says I can return the part for up to a year. I want to make sure that applies to electronic parts as well. Most part supplier will not take back an electronic part that has been opened.

Yes- applies to ALL parts. Return ANY part for ANY reason for 365 days. It can't get any more clear or explicit than that!

Just almost sounds too good! Thanks. I can get this board for $217 from Sears including sales tax and shipping. But it has no warranty once the package is opened. Since I am only 95% certain that this board is what I need, I will pay more for yours. Insurance.

Smart man! I do the same thing in my service business and buy control boards thru RepairClinic for the return policy AND what is effectively a one year warranty. Manufacturers only warranty their parts for 30 days now and that's all I'd get if I bought the boards anywhere else.

Manufacturers only warranty their parts for 30 days now and that's all I'd get if I bought the boards anywhere else.

Samurai, is this a recent change or did you mean 90 days?   It has been only 90 days for most manufactures for some time now and I haven't heard of just a 30 day part warranty on a new parts.

That's what I heard at ASTI this year.  But then again, I hear voices in other people's heads so perhaps one of the other Brethren in attendance can verify this.  

I installed the control panel. There are no codes now. But the oven does not light properly. The igniters glow but the gas does not ignite until the door is opened. Kind of scary! Any help on what I need to check? Thanks.

... The igniters glow but the gas does not ignite until the door is opened.

glow Ignitors get weak ..common problem...

need to draw at least 3.3 A to open the (in series) Gas Safety Valve

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=3377

Oven-Igniter-12400035-01404670.jpg