Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool lxr9245e2q washer makes rattling sound at end of wash cycle before spin

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Our 13 year old Whirpool lxr9245e2q washer still runs great, but I've noticed that at the end of the wash cycle but before it spins, it makes a kind of rattling sound like someone rattling a chain. This is when drain pump seems to be emptying the water. Pump works fine and empties washer and tub then spins. I'm wondering if there is a clutch that is not engaging for a few seconds or something with pump?
I don't hear it at end of rinse cycle before final spin.
Thanks
Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

post YouTube video,

then post link here

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

noisy trans while its in neutral drain?  probably run like that forever

#4 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'll have to record it and post next time we run it. Did do the test where I put it in spin mode then put my hand against inside of tub and bypassed lid switch. With a med amt of force, I could stop tub from spinning. Sounds like clutch is going, I guess.

#5 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

So I followed the diagnosis of a no-spin situation, even though ours does spin. Removed outer shell of washer and jumper end lid switch. Clutch spins. I see no oil sprayed around inside of washer. If tub is spinning and I put my hand in and try to stop, I cannot. But if I start spin cycle with my hand against tub, I can pretty easily prevent it from spinning. Agitator seems to move ok.
I do hear a thud just for a split second when tub does start to spin. So it sounds like a new clutch definitely?
I will post video/audio tomorrow. Thanks. Dave

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

The

I do hear a thud just for a split second when tub does start to spin. So it sounds like a new clutch definitely?
I will post video/audio tomorrow. Thanks. Dave

The thud you hear a split second before it actually starts to spin is the neutral drain latch releasing and spin pawl engaging spin gear,  this is a normal sound.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

But if I start spin cycle with my hand against tub, I can pretty easily prevent it from spinning.

Normal behavior, not a problem.  The clutch is intended to slip while the basket gets up to full speed.  The motor would be under a tremendous load and likely stall-out if the clutch if the clutch grabbed 100%.

#8 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

So everything is good then? I do not need to replace clutch per post above? We ran machine 2 or 3 times today and no rattling sound.

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Remove the pump and inspect for debris.  Also check drain hose for any small foreign object that might have not been evacuated with the drain water.

#10 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

You guys are great. With 3-4 complete wash cycles yesterday, i heard nothing out of the ordinary. When i have heard the noise, it sounds like something rattling around loose. Like if someone were dragging a chain repeatedly over a metal surface. Would only occur toward end if neutral drain when most of water out of washer.
I will pull pump and look for debris. Are the aftermarket (Supco) pumps or similar reliable? I can get one on Amazon for less than $10. Thanks Dave

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Buying generic knockoff parts is false economy.  Seemingly save a few shekels only to find that it doesn't work right (or at all) or fails soon after installation.  My experience with buying parts from Amazon:  http://ymlp.com/zsTPYA

The OEM pump comes with a one year, no-hassle return policy:  http://www.repaircli...mp/3363394/3296

Drain-Pump-3363394-00554734.jpg

#12 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Will do. This washer is in a condo that we rent out in the spring months. I don't mind having it die when we are there (maybe once every 6 weeks). Then i would just replace parts. But if our renters are there, it would require a service call etc.
as i had said, there was no further noise on draining. I will check pump and hoses when we return.
Or would it make sense to just replace pump? If so, should i also just replace motor coupler since it is in same general area?
Only issue we seemed to have was the rattling sound which is gone for the time being.
Thanks

#13 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

While you are replacing the pump, go ahead and replace the drive coupler as well........................Will not hurt the machine and give you a piece of mind.............Just tip it back and pull the pump, drop the motor,  replace the coupler, check fore anything  oily /greasy  near the clutch.......reassemble............Use O.E.M. parts only, , you do not want to be paying a service tech. to come out and fix your mistake while you have renters  trying to enjoy them selves.................... ( I would go as for as to replace the lid switch also, our D.D. machine is 12 years old........... .Only replaced parts so far is that it is on it's third lid switch, go figure )............

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

While you are replacing the pump, go ahead and replace the drive coupler as well........................Will not hurt the machine and give you a piece of mind.......

Good advice!  

Drive coupler part link:  http://www.repaircli...285753A/1195967

How-to video at the link above.

Motor-Coupling-285753A-01029882.jpg

#15 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Guys. Will order all parts and replace. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics