Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

How to Remove the Top Rack Inside the Freezer Compartment of a Whirlpool Bottom-Mount Refrigerator

Whirlpool Maytag refrigerator freezer rack removal remove bottom-mount

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

The top rack inside the freezer compartment of some models of Whirlpool-built bottom-mount refrigerators can be tricky to remove.  They have even befuddled the Samurai in the past.  But now, for first time ever in the history of YouTube, the Samurai reveals the secret technique for removing the top rack in living color!  Once you know the trick, removing this rack from the gear track will be almost effortless and takes just a couple minutes.  

These units are also sold under the Kenmore and Maytag brands.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Great video. Stupid manuals ive read said nothing about raising the gears on the freezer drawer. They simply say, remove screws and raise the front of the basket. I've been taking the rack out just to remove that top basket. Does this mean I can retire my long ass screw driver?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

I can't count how many cumulative hours I've wasted fighting with these things without knowing this trick! Not only that, but there was a risk of the rack getting misaligned when you reinstalled it making the door not close correctly. Now it takes just two minutes and the rack goes in perfectly every time.

Yep, you can retire that long-ass screwdriver.

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Great tip but now less money in the "swear jar". :sad:

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Good video... but, you forgot the most important part when putting back together.  You need to time the gears on the rails so that it isnt cockeyed.  

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Not if you do it with the method I showed-- the gears line up perfectly everytime.  

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

uh oh... it aint the manual that's stupid. The manual gives this instruction under the section called "rack and pinion"... It's been under my nose all this time.

"I know I am but what are you? " replied the manual

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

I ran across it in a service update. Which manual did you find it in?

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

http://appliantology...e-bottom-mount/ pg 35

I remember reading the section immediately before it concerning rack removal, then saw the rack and pinion section and thought it didn't apply. Silly rabbit that I am, if i don't understand something, how the heck would I know what does or doesn't apply?

#10 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

On a LG French door, that has the center divider, and two support bars I was scratching my head. The divider goes up in the ceiling and its wedged in. I looked in the manual no instructions. I was afraid I was going to break something. I ended up just pulling down on the bar and get the tabs clear by moving divider side ways. It came out, but i am wondering if this is the right way. I spent hours looking at it. It's like safe cracking, there has to be a trick, they put it together it has to come apart, but I dont like the force it out. I tried to get the housing open for the thermistor in freezer compartment, the housing acts like it is glued to the ceiling as well. Will be searching for a vid or picture on it as well.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Cur, post your question in the Dojo or Kitchen forum. This is a classroom video specific to the whirlpool bottom mount models. Mentioning your problem is one thing, but to surreptitiously invite a discussion on it is tantamount to hijacking the thread.... hmmmm... don't I have a warning point button on this somewhere? ... let me go check....

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 March 2014 - 08:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Whirlpool, Maytag, refrigerator, freezer, rack, removal, remove, bottom-mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics