Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Refrigerator / bottom freezer / model aff2534few

too cold

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:maxwell house regular blend

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I put a thermometer in the freezer and it shows -15 degrees . Is this acceptable? Could this be an intermittent  compressor relay on control bd. hanging up and driving the temp too low? Customer says this is freezer burning the food.(Warranty call) I forgot to mention.Checked thermisters, via diagnostics from the cntl. bd.(results were "P" on both)   Also customer complains of warm fresh food section. So checked defrost cntl through diagnostics on cntl bd. (heater , thermostat) Checked damper it opens(fully) and closes properly.You can put your hand in front of damper in fresh food section and feel a good amount of air circulation coming through.Good evap. fan. Removed back panel in freezer to look at evaporator , total frost pattern with some hand size clear ice blockages in a couple of places?  measured the air coming into the fresh food area (right at the damper outlet)and measured 25 degrees. Actual temp. in fresh food section , was about 45 degrees and dropping slowly. These checks are all made with an empty fridge , as the owner has removed everything.

Edited by vunger1, 24 June 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

15 degrees is not too cold, it's not cold enough. By burning the food I guess you freezer burnt, that is caused by thawing out and refreezing. I have seen many of these new bottom mount where the customer leaves to drawer open and get frost over the food and they think the food is being freezer burnt.

Measuring the temperature of an empty fridge is difficult and will most likely have inaccurate results. The refrigerator the minute you open the door, the gains heat very quickly, whereas the product does not. There needs to be product in there for accurate testing.

Hand size ice balls or hand frost/ice crystals. If the frost pattern is good, then frost buildup in areas is from warm air intrusion, door being left open.
Post a picture of the ice buildup.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Sorry. I misread your post, -15 is too cold. But the same still applies.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

http://appliantology...dge-aff2534few/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

I didn't find any service pointers concerning this model but I see the replacement control is being labeled as a "Frost Kit BM" consisting of a jazz board, fan blade, foam strips and a fan delay thermostat.  P/N 12002754.  Make sure customer is closing freezer drawer properly to eliminate warm air intrusion as Bro Spanner advised.

#6 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Freezer burnt foods is just the moisture removed from the food,.................... I.E.  A tear in the plastic wrapper and all of the moisture is remove from the torn area..................I just tell the customer if they find 'freezer burnt '   meat just make a soup or stew ...............Do not toss it like they show on the T.V. commercials for the "Vacuum Sealer' ? hand pump..........

#7 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

I didn't find any service pointers concerning this model but I see the replacement control is being labeled as a "Frost Kit BM" consisting of a jazz board, fan blade, foam strips and a fan delay thermostat.  P/N 12002754.  Make sure customer is closing freezer drawer properly to eliminate warm air intrusion as Bro Spanner advised.

What would the foam strips be for?

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

Don't have the instruction sheet but usually when foam strips are provided they are for sealing the edges of the evaporator cover to ensure proper return air through the evaporator.  This helps reduce moisture which cuts down on excessive frosting of the evaporator during normal operation.  Excessive frost on the evaporator can cause the defrost bi-metal to stay closed longer during the defrost cycle, leaving the defrost heater on longer, which can cause even more moisture to form in the freezer compartment.  Probably why the kit comes with a fan delay thermostat, allowing the evaporator to frost sufficiently before energizing the evaporator fan motor.  Air flow, Brother vunger, it's all in the air flow. 

#9 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Don't have the instruction sheet but usually when foam strips are provided they are for sealing the edges of the evaporator cover to ensure proper return air through the evaporator.  This helps reduce moisture which cuts down on excessive frosting of the evaporator during normal operation.  Excessive frost on the evaporator can cause the defrost bi-metal to stay closed longer during the defrost cycle, leaving the defrost heater on longer, which can cause even more moisture to form in the freezer compartment.  Probably why the kit comes with a fan delay thermostat, allowing the evaporator to frost sufficiently before energizing the evaporator fan motor.  Air flow, Brother vunger, it's all in the air flow. 

Got the kit , i will try to get a video of temps.(freezer and fresh food section) dissassembly etc. Get my eyes on why cold air isnt being distributed to the top the way it should. Ought to make an interesting repair video.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Before i go back i am going to ask the customer to be sure and put some jugs of water in the top and bottom to hold temp. better for diagnostics.Got this set up for Saturday.

Edited by vunger1, 27 June 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#10 vunger1

vunger1

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

did not get video, but i did install the cntl. bd. and it has been 10 or 11 days with no complaints. Thanks for the help.

Edited by vunger1, 09 July 2013 - 09:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics